PDA

View Full Version : FSAE West Tire Temperature

cmeissen
06-18-2010, 08:38 PM
Hey Everyone,

This is Chris from OptimumG. I hope the competition is going well for all of you. As you guys at the competition know we were taking tire temperatures after the events. The data we collected today can be downloaded from the following link (Remove Spaces):

http: //www. optimumg. com/ FSAE%20West%20Tyre%20Temps. zip

We have not done any analysis on the data so far, but wanted to let you guys take a look at it immediately.

Also the data was collected with a Longacre K-type thermocouple probe connected to a computer with a National Instruments USB-TC01 and software developed by OptimumG.

If you have any questions feel free to contact us at engineering @ optimumg. com or come talk to us tomorrow.

Thanks for all of your participation.

Chris Meissen
OptimumG

Jersey Tom
06-22-2010, 12:10 PM
Interesting, though the absolute scale of those numbers looks pretty low compared to what I've seen off our tires. On one of those cars in particular, I usually see temps 35-70F warmer (+20 to 40C or so)

I'd be curious to see what analysis comes out of this.

flavorPacket
06-22-2010, 05:06 PM
FYI the data collection took place long after the cars completed the events. There was probably a 30-90 second delay in most cases.

J. Vinella
06-22-2010, 09:11 PM
Interesting data.

Without knowing the time between coming off the track and the reading along with the inherent difference betweens these times among the cars it is hard to compare values.

Delta values between the inside middle and outside could be interesting. Here is another question to ponder, does a tire showing less heat on the outside mean there is too much camber, or too much caster (for the front), or the driver was not working the car or...

J. Vinella
06-22-2010, 09:16 PM
Haha, I just looked at UWs temps from endurance. Lowest temperatures. Nice work guys.

However, 500 lbs and wings...hmmmmm.

So many questions, so little answers. That is the song of the tire.

cmeissen
06-22-2010, 10:09 PM
Yeah the data was taken shortly after the cars came off track. We couldn't do it immediately to avoid interfering with the running of the event. We attempted to be as consistent as possible about how we measured the tires so hopefully some comparison can be of value.

The largest effect that we saw, not surprisingly was the increase in temperatures with the ambient and track temperatures. Washington and RIT for example ran endurance earlier and definitely were effected by lower ambient temperatures. Also both of those teams drivers did not seem to be pushing the cars on the final laps.

Hope you guys found the data interesting, even though initially it doesn't appear extremely revealing.

Chris Meissen
OptimumG

J. Vinella
06-24-2010, 10:43 PM
Data is always appreciated.

Pennyman
06-29-2010, 11:10 PM
This is really cool.

Nerding out on the data now...

jpusb
06-30-2010, 04:17 PM
Did any team had bad graining on their tires?

defantasy
07-04-2010, 02:09 AM
http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif hello,I miss you

thewoundedsoldier
07-08-2010, 04:17 AM
Thank you very much to whoever organized and implemented this! This should take place at every event and, IMO, should influence the judges' scoring.

I've gone through and tinkered with the data. I'm finding that a lot of schools don't have their tire size in the event program. If the following schools could come forward and provide their tire size (O.D., rim width, I.D.), it would be HUGELY appreciated:

#51 - MIT (website says 7x13...tire O.D.?)
#63 - Rutgers
#70 - Lawrence Tech
#5 - U Oklahoma
#75 - U Western Ontario
#47 - U Washington (website says 7x13...tire O.D.?)
#74 - Montana State Bozeman
#59 - Drexel (only missing tire O.D. and width)
#40 - U Alberta (only missing tire O.D. and width)
#61 - Oklahoma State
#55 - South Dakota State (only missing tire O.D.)

Not sure if some of these teams have their tire sizes on their websites...going to check now.

...bye

tgman2
07-08-2010, 07:22 AM
The type of tyres used by each team would also be useful.

scott_rfr
07-08-2010, 03:43 PM
Rutgers ran Hoosier 7's all around.

Typically run Goodyear but needed them at west and there was no Goodyear truck there...

Scott
Rutgers FSAE
2006-2010

wagemd
07-13-2010, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by thewoundedsoldier:

#47 - U Washington (website says 7x13...tire O.D.?)

We ran the Hoosier R25B's with a diameter of 20.5in.