PDA

View Full Version : multi pulley timing belt transmission

aguriec
12-14-2011, 10:50 AM
Hi Im new here and I would be very grateful if you could recommend any good book or other materials to me where i can find how to calculate multi pulley timing belt transmission. i got problems with things like how to determine the minimum wrap angle for each wheel etc. All i found in machinery construction books was just two wheels timing belt transmission calculation which was thought during classes at uni which had in fact little to do with multi wheel transm. I found something like MitCalc on the internet but it doesnt show any formulas but just makes calculations.

Drew Price
12-14-2011, 11:16 AM
There might be some useable information in books about tuning belt-driven CVT's, like you find in snowmobiles. One of our engine guys had a decent book about it from after we graduated up from Mini-Baja, but I don't remember the author.

kcapitano
12-15-2011, 09:29 AM
You could try Machinery's Handbook or Shigley's Mechanical Engineering Design. I usually have very good luck with these books.

aguriec
12-16-2011, 05:15 PM
unfortunately i couldnt find anything in these books. maybe some guys from germany know any book on this subject (might be a german book) cos they have a well developed automotive industry and we can see such multi pulley belts in almost every engine? :P

Adambomb
12-16-2011, 06:21 PM
Probably the closest application from a design aspect would be motorcycle belt drive. That would include some more important shock-loading factors you wouldn't really see in a timing belt. The bad news is that I'm guessing there's not a lot of published research on them though, as belt drives are more often used in cruisers where the objectives are smoothness and reduced maintenance.