PDA

View Full Version : Intake&Exhaust Books and Papers. ?!

M.Shetta
08-21-2011, 10:24 AM
Dear all,
I am responsible for the intake&exhaust design in our team, we are a first year team, it is our first time to join the FS.
We were looking for book and papers about the intake&exhaust to begin our designing phase, after searching the forum we came up with this list of books:
-Design Technologies for Engine Manifolds 300$
(D. E. Winterbone, Richard J. Pearson)
-Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals 191$
(John Heywood)
and this list of papers from the SAE book store:
-Intake System Design for a Formula SAE Application
-Design of a Restricted Induction System for a High Speed Four Cylinder Engine
-Exhaust System Design for a Four Cylinder Engine
-Development and Validation of an Impedance Transform Model for High Speed Engines
(Sam zimmerman)

The point is that till now we don't have a sponsor, so we will pay from our personal money, after converting our currency to US dollars we only have 340$ for book and papers including shipment in case of hard copies, till we have a sponsor, which seems like it is not going to happen in the near future.

We decided to buy the Winterbone&Pearson's 'Design Technologies for Engine Manifolds',

-Does this book contain enough data for us to begin our first design iteration?! Please be clear, because it is going to be our only source of information for the next 3 to 4 months.
-If not could you suggest for us another book that does and cost the same, or any other number of books but not to exceed our cash money?!
-I have read before that we could get free papers from the SAE through our faculty advisor, is that true have anyone got SAE papers through his advisor?!

Thanks,
Shetta.

Tom W
08-22-2011, 02:43 AM
I think the free papers are attached to a place at a US competition. You may well find that your university gives you free access to SAE papers through your library.

I would also recommend finding the PhD by William Attard about developing a specific FSAE engine, I dont recommend trying to emulate what he did but there is plenty if good information contained within it. You will also find that all Australian PhD theses for about the last six years are available online, it would be worth having a look for relevant engine topics the literature reviews will give you a broad understanding of engine technology and they are free. Another good source of info (although not on intakes and exhaust design very much) are the seminar notes that I have previously linked to on the MoTeC website.

I can't give you any advice about specific engine books though sorry because I've never bothered to read any specific engine ones.

M.Shetta
08-22-2011, 08:54 AM
Thanks Tom.

Xeilos
08-22-2011, 09:39 AM
Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals

I would go for the Heywood book myself for the reason that it is a wholistic engine fundamentals textbook as opposed to focusing on one aspect of the engine. Our engine lead likes this book, but I cannot provide an opinion or a specific reason why it is good.

Another book to look at (and part of my personal library) is Gordon P. Blair's Design and Simulation of Four Stroke Racing Engines. Good book and very math-y.

M.Shetta
08-22-2011, 01:37 PM
Thanks Xeilos for your reply, Do you think that the Heywood's book will be enough data for intake&exhaust analytical design phase?! I mean from the name the Winterbone's looks more specific, still I am comparing them by the name not the content, that is why I made this topic to know the content.

M.Shetta
08-22-2011, 01:45 PM
Could someone scan and post the index for the Winterbone's 'Design Technologies for Engine Manifolds' & 'Theory of engine manifold design', that will help a lot.

Mbirt
08-22-2011, 02:56 PM
Another book to look at (and part of my personal library) is Gordon P. Blair's Design and Simulation of Four Stroke Racing Engines. Good book and very math-y. +1 Big fan of G.P. Blair's book and SAE papers. Everything of his I've read directly applies to my work as a FSAE engine guy. Blair's background in motorcycle racing really helps keep things applicable to us.

I've noticed that "Scientific Design of Exhaust and Intake Systems" by Smith and Morrison is $32.55 new on Amazon. It's a goodie but an oldie.

This is just my opinion, but Heywood's book comes off dry like the textbook that it is. It doesn't have the high-performance focus of Blair's book and definitely won't make you audibly laugh like "Design and Simulation" did for me.

dbsharp
08-26-2011, 09:53 AM
You should attempt to get Ricardo wave. If you get sponsored by Ricardo, you get to use it for free. I am designing engine components on a first year FSAE team, and I have found wave to be very useful.

It took me a while to go from asking Ricardo to actually having the program working, but it was worth the trouble and time.

Rex Chan
08-27-2011, 07:58 AM
First of all, I've got a copy of Will Attard's PhD (got it off him when he was back in Melbourne in 2010), but might be better to get a copy off him. He works at Mahle now.

To save money, just look pictures of how every other FSAE team builds intakes/exhausts (Facebook, websites, etc). It's not rocket science. I have not found textbooks to be very useful, and SAE papers are not much better. The "Scientific Design.." text deals with carby's, as well as EFI, so is a bit out of date. FSAE papers tend to be so uni specific they're not much use either. People also like to do studies on things that don't make a whole lot of difference to the points at comp (mainly pressure drops, etc). It might make a good SAE paper topic, but won't affect laptimes nearly as much as an engine that never has issues (I know laptimes don't directly equate to overall points, but does have a significant bearing on enduro points).

The basics (harmonics, etc) can be found online on many websites. The best thing to get an idea of any proposed system is to use GT-Power/Ricardo to get some torque/power curves. This will let you know what the trends are, and how much any design features are worth (in theory).

Sadly, the above does not sound very engineering, but I think the key to a good engine package for FSAE is to realise what is and isn't important. Your team & your drivers will probably not notice or care if your airflow system is 15% more efficient than mine, if mine starts all the time, responds to the drivers foot, uses a minimum of fuel, doesn't overheat/run out of oil, and makes no unscheduled pitstops on track days.

These things are a result of what happens AFTER you design&build your parts, i.e. on the dyno and from having enough track time to sort out any issues. These things don't require a textbook, but a read of Big Bird's forum posts.

Rex Chan
08-27-2011, 08:15 AM
Sorry - a couple more things I forgot:

Heywood is a VERY theoretical textbook, and not really needed for FSAE. I tried to read it at the start of 2010, got bored, and have never looked at it again. I might look at it again now though, as it may make more sense with some experience. Deals a lot with efficiencies, which seems to be a favorite topic amongst research & OEM automotive guys (for good reason, as fuel economy/emissions is THE most important thing for them).

Also, you will NOT be equipped to design an intake/exhaust from reading it - it deals with engine internals mainly, and does not go into design of manifolds (from memory).

I suppose the main reason I'm skeptical of this emphasis on design is that for FSAE-A 2008, 2009, and 2010, we (Melbourne Uni) used the same intake manifold, which was supposedly designed in a week, without too much thought (what I got told from the 09 guys, so could be complete rubbish). 2008 had a not very good tune. 2009 had an OK tune, but oil issues reduced testing time, which reduced driver training time, which made for slow enduro runs. 2010 had a good tune, and lack of issues at testing (learning from 2009, and keeping lots of things that worked the same) meant more driver time, which meant faster enduro laps.

On Swinburne's chassis dyno (2010 package), we made 65kW@13000 and 70Nm@7000, which are decent numbers. I'll let you know how the 2011 system goes, but we're using a very basic manifold + exhaust.

josh2417
08-27-2011, 08:36 AM
shetta,
you can read four stroke tuning by graham bell.it has the details for exhaust header calculation.For the intake you can refer online journals.
Heywood in my is a good read to understand the engine basics but for all these calculations you can refer graham bell.

Ginger
05-04-2013, 12:03 PM
After reading the above posts I referred A.Graham Bell for exhaust header length calculations. The book has the formula = 850*ED/rpm and while reading a paper http://3cyl.com/mraxl/manuals/jennings/chambers.pdf I figured out that it too has almost the same formula.
So, I need to know is the formula enough for a simple basic exhaust??
and I also want to know of companies that can help us in building our header, cheap.
Thanks

Warpspeed
05-04-2013, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by josh2417:
shetta,
you can read four stroke tuning by graham bell.it has the details for exhaust header calculation.For the intake you can refer online journals.
I will put my hand up for this one as well.

And I would seriously consider the "Pipemax" low cost simulation and design software. For fifty dollars it will give you everything you really need for induction and exhaust system design, plus optimum valve timing, valve and port flow areas and much much more.