PDA

View Full Version : Structural Equivalency Calculations

Pico
10-21-2008, 05:01 PM
Hello

I'm currently doing calculations for the structural equivalency of composite panels replacing the side impact zone.

A big question being asked is whether we have to prove structural equivalency for the entire panel or only the section of it that stems from the bottom tube to the top side impact bar ie a strip about 10" wide by whatever long.

I emailed SAE but got no reply up to now.

Pico
10-21-2008, 05:01 PM
Hello

I'm currently doing calculations for the structural equivalency of composite panels replacing the side impact zone.

A big question being asked is whether we have to prove structural equivalency for the entire panel or only the section of it that stems from the bottom tube to the top side impact bar ie a strip about 10" wide by whatever long.

I emailed SAE but got no reply up to now.

Drew Price
10-21-2008, 07:17 PM
Do you have an upper and lower side impact tube, and your panel is only replacing the triangulating member? In that case you'd at the least still have to show impact absorbtion / energy dissipation, and loading and tear out strengths, as well as show your as fabricated method gives you the mat'l properties you used for the equivalency calcs, so basically the whole side.

I'm sure you'll hear back in more detail from the rules commitee soon though, they are always pretty quick to get back. I think the longest I ever waited was like 5-6 business days.

Best,
Drew

Zhefei Li
10-28-2008, 12:26 PM
Phillipe,

Any response from FSAE? I'd like an idea of what to expect before asking them myself.

Pico
10-28-2008, 08:15 PM
Well i havent gotten a response yet. I think they're busy with organising cost report stuff. After sitting down on the matter, in a case of side impact the load will be carried by the entire panel so i concluded that the design should be made for the entire panel (from the bottom to the top cockpit bar). This gives more reasonable results.