PDA

View Full Version : OEM Engine Header

Erick Scarpone
03-01-2006, 07:37 AM
Hi Everyone, last year we made a new header from scrach with Inox tubing worked great but the original header is way much lighter, we just after a hard weekend work cut it and made all the necesary modification to use these OEM header but we are not sure of what filler should we use, we put some dots of welding with ER80s filler, but we are not sure to use it on all the weldment has anyone done these before? does anyone know what tipe of material these headers are?

I know it will joint with the filler were using but for some material and good engineering people want to ask jajaja my opinion if it works lets just do it!!! jajaja.

Erick Scarpone
03-01-2006, 07:37 AM
Hi Everyone, last year we made a new header from scrach with Inox tubing worked great but the original header is way much lighter, we just after a hard weekend work cut it and made all the necesary modification to use these OEM header but we are not sure of what filler should we use, we put some dots of welding with ER80s filler, but we are not sure to use it on all the weldment has anyone done these before? does anyone know what tipe of material these headers are?

I know it will joint with the filler were using but for some material and good engineering people want to ask jajaja my opinion if it works lets just do it!!! jajaja.

drivetrainUW-Platt
03-01-2006, 09:17 AM
first, what engine are these off of???? they could be steel, stainless steel, or even titanium....

Erick Scarpone
03-01-2006, 09:41 AM
2004 Yamaha YZF R6

Karan Khetan
03-21-2006, 04:52 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Erick Scarpone:
2004 Yamaha YZF R6 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi we are using the Yamaha R6 engine and as you mentioned that you used it I was wondering If I can get some engine specs off you. I need them to simulate an engine model in GT Suite.

A few like lifter diameter, valve hieght.

Cheers,
Karan Khetan
FSAE - Manchester University, UK

drivetrainUW-Platt
03-21-2006, 07:55 AM
call up some yamaha dealership or search the net to find out what material they are

SpdRcr
03-21-2006, 11:56 AM
Try: google, call yamaha, put a magnet to it...etc. etc. http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Bill Kunst
03-21-2006, 09:03 PM
A magnet is works great for determining if the metal is magnetic(plain steel and some stainless) or not(most stainless, aluminum, magnesium, titanium, rocks, plastic, gum, etc).

Saying that much, this does not determine anything more as far as welding is concerned. Truthfully, a spark test may work a hell of a lot better if finding out from the manufacturer is difficult (hard to imagine). So, you need to look up material properties as far as the type of spark given off, put it too a clean grinder wheel. Look, pay attention, match properties of spark, whoopee. DO NOT GO CRAZY. just need a sample spark or two, so this will not ruin your part.

J. Schmidt
03-22-2006, 01:54 PM
Yeah, a spark test can tell you a lot. A quick Google search found this cool site: spark test (http://64.78.42.182/sweethaven/BldgConst/Welding/lessonmain.asp?lesNum=1&modNum=4). Or go to a machine shop and ask to use their spectrograph.

Bill Kunst
03-22-2006, 08:38 PM
J. Schmidt is a cool name. I think anyone with that name must be cool. I am converting my name to B. Kunst.

Cool thing though, spark test Titanium. OOOH, try Magnesium, too. Tell me how the last one goes.

absolutepressure
03-22-2006, 09:26 PM
B. Kunt, I heard those spark tests work well to determine the materials used in firecrackers too. You may want to verify my results, though.

&gt;Addition&lt;
Hey man, now I have to get you back again. http://fsae.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/125607348/m/69110219131 Second from the bottom. Haha. Just you wait

Bill Kunst
03-22-2006, 09:29 PM
OKay, A$$hole pleasure, will do.....
wait there for the results!

Okay, I am sorry, but me and J. go way back, so he will laugh. We lived together, raced in the hall ways, and generally accomplished things. As far as manufacturing goes, he knows more than you can shake a stick at. As for A. Pleasure, we don't go way back. Maybe some friction there, but he just knows that he can't have me. And I can take the blame for this. In the past I have said that I go both ways. At first this seems weird, but what I really was saying is that I drive cars that turn right AND left. I apologize for your broken heart,
B.

Oh, you just noticed? Abstinent Pleasure, you will have to work hard to keep up! http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Jersey Tom
03-22-2006, 09:57 PM
Well..

First off, since the header isn't structural, I wouldn't worry all that much about diluting your weld with stuff not in the base metal. ER308.. ER70S-2.. what have you. But thats only if youre running straight ghetto style. Not good practice.

Magnets, spark testing, et all work nicely.

If youre just adjusting a stock header though and tweaking it, so long as you get the cuts pretty well matched up and smooth, can just put a little heat into it and seal it up.