PDA

View Full Version : Extra bonus comp for FSAE-A 2004!

bigfella
09-27-2004, 02:48 AM
Hi all,
After discussion with a couple of RMIT blokes a few days ago, I've decided to float an extra, non-points (but good fun) comp for the FSAE-A event this year:

THE BLINGIEST CAR CATEGORY

The rules of this category are simple:
The team whose car has the greatest number of seriously over-the-top shiny parts (hence bling bling) wins multiple cartons of beer of their choice. This category is open to all comers and will be judged myself and one representative from each competing team.

There will be a small entry fee, about $10 a team to cover the prizes. The size of first prize depends wholely and solely on the number of entrants, if a lot of teams enter there could be second and third prizes too!

I reckon us at Swinny have a pretty solid chance but theres' bound to be some other shiny stuff fanatics out there in SAE land, so come on guys and girls, let me know if you're keen!

bigfella
09-27-2004, 02:48 AM
Hi all,
After discussion with a couple of RMIT blokes a few days ago, I've decided to float an extra, non-points (but good fun) comp for the FSAE-A event this year:

THE BLINGIEST CAR CATEGORY

The rules of this category are simple:
The team whose car has the greatest number of seriously over-the-top shiny parts (hence bling bling) wins multiple cartons of beer of their choice. This category is open to all comers and will be judged myself and one representative from each competing team.

There will be a small entry fee, about $10 a team to cover the prizes. The size of first prize depends wholely and solely on the number of entrants, if a lot of teams enter there could be second and third prizes too!

I reckon us at Swinny have a pretty solid chance but theres' bound to be some other shiny stuff fanatics out there in SAE land, so come on guys and girls, let me know if you're keen!

Matilda
09-27-2004, 03:17 AM
We're in!

We like to call it the most "rice".

Jason

Moke
09-27-2004, 04:25 AM
We have been discusing "Pimp my FSAE" for some time. But with our current body design we can no longer run our 20" spinners. But the chrome 17's will have to do.

RaID
09-27-2004, 05:12 AM
whos gonna be on the judging panel of this competition?

and that green sh|t in a can should definately NOT be the prize

other then that i think we'd be in aswell

Chase
09-27-2004, 09:49 AM
you know in all seriousness shouldn't marketing be more of a part of this competition? I know that the judges like it when your car has a good appearance, but shouldn't there be points spread like say maybe 20 points in design or some other area purely for car appearance. It probably wouldn't help the teams who are just making a mark on FSAE, but i still think it has some small amount of importants.

Charlie
09-27-2004, 10:06 AM
I beleive 5 points of the design event are aesthetics if you read your design scoring sheet. If skidpad is only worth 50 points, I can't see much more being alotted to appearance.

However points can be counted but a properly timed cold beer is priceless. http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Ben Hatfield
09-27-2004, 06:25 PM
I reckon you could be on to something here bigfella.

Count us in!

--
Ben Hatfield
Chief Engineer
University of Ballarat

Kevin Hayward
09-27-2004, 07:08 PM
Chase,

Carroll Smith used to have a good take on the whole appearance of the car. I can remember him saying that while there are only 5 points allocated to the appearance we should be a bit smarter than that. If a judge sees a good looking car that will stick in his (or her) mind and will have a greater effect on your design score than 5 points.

Also a good looking car is great for marketing ... to your sponsors. I would argue that impressing your sponsors is much more important than impresing the design judges. Afterall the judges won't dig into their wallets to keep your team running.

Kev

BryanH
09-27-2004, 07:37 PM
" Form follows function" is my motto
Don't know who said it 1st but he wasn't a hotrodder.

Denny Trimble
09-27-2004, 08:34 PM
It's important in the design event to have a beautiful car. And this means more than just bodywork - there should be no ugly bits sticking out, no duct tape, no fastener with more than 2 threads sticking out of the nut, the list goes on.

Yes, this is hyper-critical, but the judges keep telling us our cars are "simple, clean, and beautiful", and we keep getting into the design semis.

Who knows, maybe not this year http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Chase
09-27-2004, 09:54 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>If a judge sees a good looking car that will stick in his (or her) mind and will have a greater effect on your design score than 5 points. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I was kinda implying that sorta and yeah i read that part of the rules and saw the five points thing. ( looks like someone has some re-reading to do)

Wish we could be in Aussie to compete and win
THE BLINGEST CAR award. http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
(I was the guy who was sorta in charge of the polishin last year)

Would part of the bling judging consider all those nice aluminum (insert other various material) parts UNDER the body work or just the exterior appearance? and parts?

aniLD
09-28-2004, 01:35 AM
"and that green sh|t in a can should definately NOT be the prize"

I love how all u guys from WA think u have the best beer!!!

When u come down to civilisation for this years event, then u can bring down some of the good stuff.

Kevin Hayward
09-28-2004, 01:55 AM
Whoa!!

Wait a minute that comment about bad tasting beer in green cans did not come from a West Aussie. It came from a South Australian.

Even if it is still a valid point.

Kev

Amos
09-28-2004, 02:03 AM
I can think of a damn good beer that comes in a bottle, still with a green label....
Anyone care to guess what? Good ol' SA beer... COOPERS!

madman
09-28-2004, 02:30 AM
C'mon guys. Think like an FSAE event... Marketing, sponsorship! I'm sure the blokes from Vic can rustly up a sponsorship deal for a carton or two.

PS. Speaking of good beer, I'm Munich now - and its Oktoberfest!! http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif And that craps all over the stuff in the green, gold, white and red cans. Both in quantity and taste (not that one really cares after the second 1 litre Krug).

bigfella
09-28-2004, 02:31 AM
Jeez, seems engineers like to have shiny cars and drink beer....

Okay, firstly to fix up the "green sh.t in a can" issue; I agree 100%, it is crap. VB that is, one can and it's headache city for me. Furthermore, the beer given as first prize will be the winner's selection from whatever is at the nearest bottleshop (so don't get too adventurous if you win, the event's in Werribee and it isn't exactly a thriving cosmopolitan haven of exotica!).

The judging panel will consist of one member from each team entering and in the interest of one team actually winning, no one can score their own car.

This is strictly exterior appearance only, the idea is along the lines of "Pimp my FSAE" (thanks Moke for a pretty cool take on the idea). What we're looking at is a slightly modified version of "wow" factor. I like to call it "fullysikmaate"-ness. If you can set diamonds in your bodywork, that's some good bling and will score points. However a "fullysik" set of wheels with serious detailing and totally over-the-top polishing of everything on and anywhere near the car (including any bald team members' heads! http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif) will get the prize. Think show cars, the really eye catching stuff that gets people going who know bugger all about cars. That's what I'm talking 'bout (ugh, Shannon Moll).

About the 20" spinners, have you ever tried to pick one up? Bloody hell they're heavy!

One more thing; as this is a non-serious event, I expect all judging panel members to have silly hats of some sort. Good luck and may the most insane team win!

The guru of guru's
09-28-2004, 05:11 AM
The Deakin boys are in....
I suppose we need to get one thing straight first...does the use of carbon count for double bling point scoring?

Denny Trimble
09-28-2004, 08:09 AM
I'll start working on the carbon-fiber spinners now...

Greg H
09-28-2004, 10:02 PM
You should have told us that before we painted the whole car black! We'd make the steel shine to win this one. Also, the whole polishing of the baldies sets the mulletheads at a disadvantage (Not us of course, we're not THAT far south).

bigfella
09-29-2004, 01:15 AM
nah sorry, no double bling points for carbon fibre, but if you make up those c/f spinners Denny, you deserve at least a slab for your effort!

This is getting WAY out of hand... http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

The idea is shiny stuff, not high-tech looking stuff. Good bodywork may be a bonus if it comes down to a "sik-off". At the moment I'd rather just stick to points for really shiny stuff. Oh, if you can work your team brand into your parts, that'll score well with me http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif.

bigfella
09-29-2004, 01:29 AM
Go the mullet! Possibly extra points for balditude AND mulletude, whaddya think dudes?

Anyone who can justify running a car with amps and at least one subwoofer WILL win. You'll go crap in every other event, but the Bling Bling Crown will be yours!

I'll try to post a branding idea now:
c:\documents and settings\dick\my documents\my pictures\20-09-04_1527.jpg