PDA

View Full Version : COSMOSWORK HELP URGENT!!!!!!!!!!!

WALDOPIPE
10-26-2007, 12:25 AM
Hello: Im having a really bad time trying to make an static tension modelling of my brake disc. I already draw my bbrake disc on solid, define the material, define the restrictions, define the mesh,but i really dont have any ideas of how to put the braking torque on COSMOS that i already have calculated by using a lot of formulas that some of the people around here have heard a lot.

Im using 8 inches brake rotor with 3 bolts on the center. I tried to use the tutorial but cannot find anything like that or maybe im so angry that cannot find it.

Dont mention that i also have to make a thermal analisys of the heat involve in the braking but its impossible tofind somebody who know how to use this program. Please i need to do this 2 analysis in order to finish my thesys and belive that im really in a hurry.

I beg for anyone here at the forum who knows how to simulate this analysis and please help me doit. I can give anyone my brake disc file if you want so anyone can try to simulate the forces aplied to the brake disc.

Oswaldo Leon
TEAM FSAEUCV

WALDOPIPE
10-26-2007, 12:25 AM
Hello: Im having a really bad time trying to make an static tension modelling of my brake disc. I already draw my bbrake disc on solid, define the material, define the restrictions, define the mesh,but i really dont have any ideas of how to put the braking torque on COSMOS that i already have calculated by using a lot of formulas that some of the people around here have heard a lot.

Im using 8 inches brake rotor with 3 bolts on the center. I tried to use the tutorial but cannot find anything like that or maybe im so angry that cannot find it.

Dont mention that i also have to make a thermal analisys of the heat involve in the braking but its impossible tofind somebody who know how to use this program. Please i need to do this 2 analysis in order to finish my thesys and belive that im really in a hurry.

I beg for anyone here at the forum who knows how to simulate this analysis and please help me doit. I can give anyone my brake disc file if you want so anyone can try to simulate the forces aplied to the brake disc.

Oswaldo Leon
TEAM FSAEUCV

J. Vinella
10-26-2007, 01:08 AM
Try making some split lines on the rotor to simulate the brake pad then applying the force to that "brake pad surface"

Good luck,

Mike Sadie
10-26-2007, 11:38 AM
Vinella has the right idea. Here is a great tutorial on how to use split-lines in cosmos to refine a mesh. It also shows how to apply a restraint/load to a user-defined profile in a similar way.

http://www.owlnet.rice.edu/~mech403/DemoFiles/CW_demo/CW_mesh_control4.pdf (http://www.owlnet.rice.edu/%7Emech403/DemoFiles/CW_demo/CW_mesh_control4.pdf)

Unfortunately, I have not done any simulations with the thermal analysis.

drivetrainUW-Platt
10-26-2007, 12:38 PM
Note for all the new people here....

Nothing is URGENT unless its the month before compeition so dont post help now need help help help !!!!!!!!!!

Just ask nicly and the many helpful people on this site will answer your questions.

BTW, split lines are the way to go. Seems like for some reason you can only do one "box" at a time, cant split multiple boxes at once.

WALDOPIPE
10-26-2007, 12:39 PM
thanks mike and vinella. Im going to check it now. Im trying to do te analysis without using the brake pad this time, i just want to simulate the brake rotor restrictet in 3 points and aplying it a force/momentum of 420Nw at the edge of the disc.

Its like when you draw the forces acting on a wheel and you put the weight and the frictional forces, but i just want to put the braking torque and the brake disc restricted in three points in order to see the deformations.

This would be just the start but the problem its that cannot find the way to put the braking torque directiom.

Oswaldo Leon
FSAEUCV

The AFX Master
10-26-2007, 09:01 PM
use the split lines described above. putting a torque on the outer edge of the disk will only give you wrong results, because you're putting the brake torque on a few nodes and the deformation will be exagerated on the outer edge and radially symetrical. That is, you'll have simple torsion on the disk and that's not the real thing. the load scheme is a bit more complex

On a real brake, an element located near the trailing edge (zone right before the brake pad contact) of the disk will be in compression plus shear due to the torsion braking moment. Therefore on the leading edge (zone right after the brake pad contact) of the disk, an element will be in traction plus shear.

Use the split line command, you'll never regret it http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif, you can do a comparative analysis between the two approaches.
btw, remember that you can define a plane normal to the force (in this case, a radial plane) in order give a direction to apply such force. (in this case, a plane normal to a radial plane is a tangent one).

If you do the analysis using the torque on the outer edge of that disk, you'll neglect the radial component of the braking force acting on the disk studs (those that clamp the disk to the hub or differential), so underdesigning them