PDA

View Full Version : dry sump pump

Nimish
03-23-2010, 10:03 AM
i have selected dailey engg two stage scavenge pump (1.05" rotor) for dry sump system on honda cbr600f4i engine, I'll be using the internal pressure pump for pressure.
The flow rates for the dailey pump is 4.6gpm = 17.41 lpm at 1000rpm per section, where the flowrate for the internal pressure pump is approx 4.5 lpm at 1000rpm. I fell that the flowrate of the dailey engg pump is much more than required.
So, is the flowrate too much?? if yes, then what would be the acceptable range??

thanks
Nimish Bhatt
Powertrain co
K. J. Somaiya College of engg
India

Nimish
03-23-2010, 10:03 AM
i have selected dailey engg two stage scavenge pump (1.05" rotor) for dry sump system on honda cbr600f4i engine, I'll be using the internal pressure pump for pressure.
The flow rates for the dailey pump is 4.6gpm = 17.41 lpm at 1000rpm per section, where the flowrate for the internal pressure pump is approx 4.5 lpm at 1000rpm. I fell that the flowrate of the dailey engg pump is much more than required.
So, is the flowrate too much?? if yes, then what would be the acceptable range??

thanks
Nimish Bhatt
Powertrain co
K. J. Somaiya College of engg
India

Corey H
03-23-2010, 12:49 PM
No, it is not enough.

Read this:

http://fsae.com/eve/forums/a/t...25607348/m/570104734 (http://fsae.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/125607348/m/570104734)

Mike Cook
03-23-2010, 01:49 PM
We use a 3 stage. It works fine.

Jan_Dressler
03-23-2010, 02:37 PM
We use the 2 stage Dailey pump on a Honda CBR 600RR (PC37) engine, which has about 8 l / 1000 revs flow rate for the internal pressure pump.

Worked fine, never had a single problem.

Fred G
03-23-2010, 10:56 PM
Hi Ninish,

Generally, it's better to have higher capacities when it comes to sizing pumps like this. It's easier to reduce the flowrate or pressure than to increase it.

The question you have to ask yourself is, what are the consequences if the flowrate exceeds that of the internal pump?

What type of storage/ seperation method have you implemented?

Regards,
Fred

Nimish
03-24-2010, 10:23 AM
@Jan - Hi, the reply i recieved from dailey, to my enquiry did not mention 2 stage scavenge pump with flow rate of 8 lpm 1000rpm per stage.
What is the size of the rotor of the pump ur using??
the reply i recieved had pumps with 1.05" rotors with flowrate of 4.6 gpm.

Nimish
03-24-2010, 10:29 AM
@fred - Hi, i have been going through various methods of air-oil seperating, the most commonly used are tangential entry of oil in the tank and concentric perforated baffle inside the tank.

I have been also looking for saturation pressure of the engine oil at the operating tempreture.
If the vacuum caused by the scavenge pump in the crankcase reaches saturation pressure or cavitation pressure, then it might result in vapourisation of oil.

Thanks for ur replies

Fred G
03-25-2010, 01:39 AM
Nimish,

It's good that you recognise some of the issues with vaporisation pressure in oil, but would this be your limiting factor?

You scaveng oil into a reservoir, it will be full of air or be vaporised, but is this oil going to be fed directly into your engine?

My understanding of a oil seperator/ baffled tank of your description was to "settle" your oil before it is reintroduced into your engine.

One problem I do potentially see is the oil tank filling up too quickly to the point it almost overflows rendering the seperation process useless. But again, this can be avoided if the right amount of oil is used and tank capacity calculated etc.

What about changing the type of oil you use? What oil are you using?

Cheers,
Fred

Jan_Dressler
03-29-2010, 05:26 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nimish:
@Jan - Hi, the reply i recieved from dailey, to my enquiry did not mention 2 stage scavenge pump with flow rate of 8 lpm 1000rpm per stage.
What is the size of the rotor of the pump ur using??
the reply i recieved had pumps with 1.05" rotors with flowrate of 4.6 gpm. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

8l / 1000 revs is the flow rate of our pressure pump.