PDA

View Full Version : Rear vs Front braking force

Ajay
07-11-2006, 09:01 AM
hey guys -- for two front outboard and single rear inboard disc brake .Hw much is the difference of braking force dat is required at front and rear (separately)

At wht force does the wheels lock generally

Hey in case any one has brakes spreadsheet involving calculation or any toher sheet which may be used for deciding the different parameters
jst mail me at ajay10sep@yahoo.co.in

actally i m nt gettin hold of any gud book

Matt Gignac
07-11-2006, 09:27 AM
It's been discussed at length, so I suggest searching for a post by Suddenlee on the subject that outlines the procedure clearly.

But basically, figure out the weight transfer under braking, find normal loads on each tire, assume a COF for tires on road and pads on discs, use some 11th grade physics to figure out how the brake clamping force provided by the calipers translates to longitudinal force at the tires, do the hydraulic ratio calcs to and pedal mech advantage to get reasonable input requirements, do the hokey pokey, then vary parameters until everything works together.

But seriously though, just search next time.

Matt Gignac
McGill Racing Team

JP Venturi
07-11-2006, 10:42 AM
in 11th grade physics we used to play black jack in the back of the class for quarters. I suck at black jack.

drivetrainUW-Platt
07-11-2006, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by McGill_Man:
in 11th grade physics we used to play black jack in the back of the class for quarters. I suck at black jack.

oh wow!
just a suggestion, if asking questions about a similar topic, ask them all at once in one post, not each specific question in a different post, this is known as post whoring when your name is all over the discussion and is not cooooo

ahaidet
07-11-2006, 11:19 AM
For reference. I was told by a Mike O'neil at Tilton the various pedal force you want for varying drivers and cars for lock up.
60-80lbs force is a light pedal
80-100lbs force is a medium pedal
100-120lbs foce is a heavy pedal

He told me for most drivers and with our cars that we would want to stay in the light range, which is were most street cars fall.

Basically find the lightest weight calipers you can find, design simple lightweight rotors and play with the rotor diameters, the master cylinder bore sizes and the caliper bores, and pedal ratio to keep it somewhere in that range. The calculations are pretty simple, use Stoptechs website to find white pages detailing brake calculations.

LU-Bolton
07-11-2006, 12:01 PM
Don't worry about the books and what other people are running on their cars. Remember that each and every person's car will be different along with their force distributions between front and rear ; because some people didn't do the math, because every car is in a different weight class/uses different sized wheels, and every car uses different master cylinders and calipers. so don't run something just because someone else does. Do it because you proved it to yourself. Next time ask a question after you've already attempted doing some calculations and spent a good few days trying to work it out. No one here is just going to hand over their brake calculation spreadsheets, and even if they did hand it to you on a silver platter I wouldn't use it. Good luck, take this post as constructive criticism because if you're trying to build a racecar you're probably smart enough to figure out these calculations.

Aaron cassebeer
2007 Lehigh Team Leader

Ajay
07-11-2006, 11:13 PM
Thanks LU-Bolton for the suggestion
I actually did my calculations and decided the mc,calipers and rotor dia.
I jst wntd to get a feel of wht others are getting ....so as to get if i m wrong anywhere
Thnks anyways