PDA

View Full Version : We are getting kicked off our testing lot...

cassie
05-10-2004, 03:12 PM
I have heard that people may have mathematical or other information that proves a student formula car with it's approx. 125lb corner weights doesn't damage a parking lot type surface... I have a meeting tomorrow morning (5/11) with a university official to plead our case for testing and that information would prove invaluable to me and our team...

Thanks!

cassie
05-10-2004, 03:12 PM
I have heard that people may have mathematical or other information that proves a student formula car with it's approx. 125lb corner weights doesn't damage a parking lot type surface... I have a meeting tomorrow morning (5/11) with a university official to plead our case for testing and that information would prove invaluable to me and our team...

Thanks!

Denny Trimble
05-10-2004, 06:59 PM
You can do the math:

Production Car 1: Audi (or whatever)
Corner weights = ___
Lateral G's = 0.3 (or your guess of what people do in parking lots)
Lateral Force = (0.3 * corner weight)

FSAE Car: same, except change the parameters (including cornering g's = 1.5)

Compare normal forces and lateral forces on the road, and make your argument that way.

If any garbage trucks or buses go through the lot, you've got a good argument that they should look elsewhere if they're worried about preserving their beautiful glass-flat parking lot http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Our biggest headaches for testing on-campus are people who complain of noise, and safety concerns. Take a pro-active stance on those issues and you won't regret it.

Angry Joe
05-10-2004, 07:54 PM
We have been driving in our lot for nearly ten years and there is no sign of pavement damage whatsoever. Honestly, though, this sounds like a flimsy excuse. Probably there is someone who does not want you to be his problem, and is acting on it. If you want words of support to be sent to your higher-ups, I'd be happy to help...

cassie
05-10-2004, 08:36 PM
The lot is actually the marching band practice field which is asphalt painted like a football field... i know that it is too wicked cool to risk possible harm.. but our corner weights are less then the average tuba player.. i think the band geeks just don't like sharing with the engin-nerds... but i want to go in with all the scientific come backs for their possible excuses...

Michael Jones
05-11-2004, 06:27 AM
WTF? Please tell me they haven't painted a parking lot green to resemble AstroTurf.

If so, send a picture. I can use the laugh.

It is entirely possible that you'll ruin a paint job, but I agree - there's no way that you'll tear up the asphalt, unless the parking lot was made by the same people who fix Ithaca potholes. If so, your flautists will rip it up, never mind the tuba players.

This is the most ridiculous controversy I've heard in some time.

Bring numbers and be proactive around any concerns they raise re: safety and noise (we have similar issues on that front...) And whatever you do, try to suppress any urge to tell them to get a brain and/or a life. Stupid people making stupid arguments don't like being reminded of the fact, and if they have power, they'll win regardless.