PDA

View Full Version : max angle on apex joint?

poweredbyvdub
08-21-2007, 07:16 PM
what's the max angle that we can safely run an apex joint for a steering column? I've heard around 35 deg, but higher is available... I think this may be for a shaft rotating at 500 rpm or something, which is alot more cycles than we are giving it.

poweredbyvdub
08-21-2007, 07:16 PM
what's the max angle that we can safely run an apex joint for a steering column? I've heard around 35 deg, but higher is available... I think this may be for a shaft rotating at 500 rpm or something, which is alot more cycles than we are giving it.

Anday
08-21-2007, 07:22 PM
From our experience, 35 degrees is about all you want to design for. That's what ours was last year and there was some 'looping' of the shaft if not perfectly alligned and supported. That is not as easy as it may sound.
Most sites say the way to go for a larger angle is a double apex joint, which needs better support (supported on both ends) and obviously weighs more.
Of course there could be more options that I wasn't able to find last year.

murpia
08-22-2007, 03:09 AM
Don't forget that the more you angle a single universal joint, the more the variation from constant-velocity behaviour. Probably not what you want in your steering... That doesn't happen with the double joint.

Regards, Ian

drivetrainUW-Platt
08-22-2007, 06:15 AM
Best thing to do might be to ask the manufacturer what they say the max angle is. Each will have there own specs for there parts.

Ben Beacock
08-22-2007, 10:47 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by drivetrainUW-Platt:
Best thing to do might be to ask the manufacturer what they say the max angle is. Each will have there own specs for there parts. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Both Apex and Flaming River U-joints are MIL spec, so if you can find that, it should give you the ratings you need.

For the seat of the pants spec, I just happened to finish making a new steering shaft for the '05 car to replace the one the '07 team snatched:

http://www.vwot.org/community/modules/Gallery/albums/albuo79/Photo_082207_002.sized.jpg

this is at full bind so it would have to back off about 5 degrees. Joints are Flaming River 5/8" ID.