PDA

View Full Version : Tires moving on rims....

SnailRacer
04-30-2006, 02:28 PM
Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone has looked into how much tires 'spin' on their rims. I've read of chalking a marker on the tire an rim before a run to measure their relative rotation, and I plan on doing it as soon as our car is up and running again, but in the mean time, anyone have any idea what to expect?

Thanks!
Jeremy

james17
04-30-2006, 06:09 PM
I'm an old Drag Racing guy and I was also a little worried about the tires spinning on the rims, but over time I have checked it and with either Keisers or BBS's we have had no tire spin issues at all.

Richard Pare
04-30-2006, 06:30 PM
You guys really shouldn't have that problem with the light weight and limited traction loads of these cars. We occasionally will see some movement in FF and FC, but it isn't all that common. A lot will depend on just how good the rims are (how tight the bead seating is), but it will take some pretty bad rims before an FSAE car will spin them much, if at all.

SnailRacer
05-01-2006, 05:56 AM
Thanks guys. Out of curiosity, how much movement have you seen in drag racing and FF/FC?

ben
05-01-2006, 09:44 AM
We had 180 degrees on a rear in MotoGP last Month! Even if it turns it will only be noticable if the thing goes a fair bit out of balance - particularly at FSAE speeds.

Ben

james17
05-01-2006, 09:52 AM
I've seen tires rotate so far it was hard to determine how many times, if more then once, they had rotated. The bigger issue at hand is that any rotation can cause severe bead damage, but like was said I would tend to call it a nonissue on FSAE weight cars, unless your running Mickey's and have 200ft-lbs. of torque.