PDA

View Full Version : quick chassis question

alakazam
04-02-2012, 12:42 PM
hi,

what is the difference between one piece tubular spaceframe and two piece tubular spaceframe, and what other variants of spaceframe are there?

thanks

alakazam
04-02-2012, 12:42 PM
hi,

what is the difference between one piece tubular spaceframe and two piece tubular spaceframe, and what other variants of spaceframe are there?

thanks

M. Nader
04-02-2012, 01:43 PM
some things are missing from your post:

Who are you?
Why do you want to know?

What did you reach after doing some proper research on the subject?

RobbyObby
04-03-2012, 01:27 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alakazam:
hi,

thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll decide to be nice on this one.

Typically a 1-piece construction (be it space frame, monocoque, etc.) usually means that the chassis/frame is one solid piece front to rear. 2-piece construction usually means you can separate some portion of the frame (usually the rear) from the other.

alakazam
04-03-2012, 12:55 PM
hi,

i am part of the UCL team designing a car to be built for the next competition.

i have been designated the task of chassis design and am trying to understand the different types.

my research on chassis has been on spaceframe design and i have come across the different spaceframe types from looking at other team designs.

@robby, can you provide pictures for examples?

thanks

M. Nader
04-03-2012, 02:17 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alakazam:
hi,

i am part of the UCL team designing a car to be built for the next competition.

i have been designated the task of chassis design and am trying to understand the different types.

my research on chassis has been on spaceframe design and i have come across the different spaceframe types from looking at other team designs.

@robby, can you provide pictures for examples?

thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Join the Formula student page on facebook, or browse other teams' galleries and you should find plenty of samples and some explanations as well. Even Google it and you will see enough. Use books, papers and reading materials (sticky on the open forum discussion) and you should know what you need, just don't get caught up and read everything, be careful and choose what you need, start from a broad concept and go down to the details.