PDA

View Full Version : Shifter force and rotation

ahilto3
11-09-2011, 10:39 PM
Hello all,

Unfortunately, and fortunately, our 2007 GSXR motor is in Florida right now getting a 3d scan done on it, but i need to know how much torque and rotational displacement it takes to get the transmission to shift gears(with the engine running). Im trying to work out the kinematics for a manual shifter, and our final design presentation is in 2 weeks. If you all know a ballpark based on other motors that would be great. If not, ill just have to wait until it gets back here to LSU.

Nick Renold
11-11-2011, 09:43 PM
Based on my super-accurate 3d hand-o-meter, our LT-R 450 takes in the ballpark of 20-50 lbs and has a 1/2 to 1 inch throw in either direction at the push-pull cable. This is with the engine running and clutch in. You could also shift it with less force in some scenarios, and sometimes it took much more force (downshifts during endurance required a good smack that would put over 50lbs on the push-pull cable in my estimate). The push-pull cable attaches to a lever arm on motor that is in the 1 to 3 inch range.

cfez
11-13-2011, 06:21 PM
We had a kawasaki zx6rr and it was about 30 lbs and a .3" throw, our current yamaha r6 is 15 ish lbs and also a .3" throw. but you will need much more force to get it to shift quickly...