PDA

View Full Version : urgent querie

kief99
03-31-2008, 06:47 AM
hi,
i had one question concerning the regulations, our chassis is desgined in way that the engine and differential are mounted on a subframe which bolts into the cockpit. the way the subframe bolts to the main chassis is by welding a plate to the chassis and bolting the subframe to the plate.
my doubt is wether it is possible to have bolts through the roll hoop

The only section i found on the regulations states that the roll hoop must be of a continous uncut closed corss section.

kief99
03-31-2008, 06:47 AM
hi,
i had one question concerning the regulations, our chassis is desgined in way that the engine and differential are mounted on a subframe which bolts into the cockpit. the way the subframe bolts to the main chassis is by welding a plate to the chassis and bolting the subframe to the plate.
my doubt is wether it is possible to have bolts through the roll hoop

The only section i found on the regulations states that the roll hoop must be of a continous uncut closed corss section.

Jade
03-31-2008, 07:33 AM
I don't think so.

Refer http://www.formulasae.org/forums/formula/dispatch.cgi/r...20Holes%20in%20Tubes (http://www.formulasae.org/forums/formula/dispatch.cgi/rules/docProfile/100189/d20080227230216/No/3.3.2%20Holes%20in%20Tubes)

Erich Ohlde
03-31-2008, 12:39 PM
it is legal. our 07 chassis was a composite driver cockpit with a bolt on tubeframe rear structure through the rollhoop. our 08 is a similar setup

D Collins Jr
03-31-2008, 08:37 PM
Kief,

legal questions should be posed to Kathleen McDonald, not the forums. Her email is in the rules and regulations that you were looking through.

Jade
04-01-2008, 03:16 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jayhawk_electrical:
it is legal. our 07 chassis was a composite driver cockpit with a bolt on tubeframe rear structure through the rollhoop. our 08 is a similar setup </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If I read the clarification right, your chassis should be legal only if you have submitted an SEF for it. I can't imagine your rear structure being bolted on by 3mm bolts.

If it's being allowed without submitting the SEF, we could have simplified some of our mounts. Damn.

kief99
04-02-2008, 06:19 AM
thanks for the reference, it is only legal with and SEF form.

Erich Ohlde
04-02-2008, 09:29 AM
I guess I probably should have said to ask the rules committee. figured that was common sense tho.