PDA

View Full Version : sprotor

vaibhav
08-27-2007, 11:49 AM
could someone please send me a few pictures of the sprotor assembly?how does the chain work normally when the sprotor is used

vaibhav
08-27-2007, 11:49 AM
could someone please send me a few pictures of the sprotor assembly?how does the chain work normally when the sprotor is used

billywight
08-27-2007, 06:25 PM
The chain works just like it would work without the brake caliper on the sprocket... Try a forum search.

repeatoffender
08-27-2007, 11:05 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by billywight:
The chain works just like it would work without the brake caliper on the sprocket... Try a forum search. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

really?

i would have thought that with the application of brake pedal the rotor would flex (radially) resulting in a tensioning of the slack side and slackening of the driven side of the chain? no

this could be dangerous...

Dan Lentsch
08-28-2007, 07:06 AM
I was told to stay away from it because you would basically be lubing your brake pads in the rear..

John Grego
08-28-2007, 07:35 AM
We've used them before and the advantage is that you eliminate some of your rotating mass. We didn't run into problems with "lubing the brake pads" with chain wax. We did have that problem when we didn't secure our oil cap and it puked oil all over it. Our driver did notice a difference with the braking then. I think as long as you keep it relatively dry the brake makes enough heat to evaporate any lube you have on it. Which is the other problem...heat. The highest forces on the car are put through the sprotor from the chain and when you add brakes, you add heat. You definately don't want it to fail.

Last year we used seperate brake rotor. There's advantages to both.

billywight
08-28-2007, 08:42 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">i would have thought that with the application of brake pedal the rotor would flex (radially) resulting in a tensioning of the slack side and slackening of the driven side of the chain? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Run an fea and look at displacement results - as long as you designed things fairly stiff this shouldn't be an issue.

Dan Lentsch
08-28-2007, 08:54 AM
good call on the chain wax.. didnt think of that one

vandit
09-04-2007, 08:49 AM
what's your mail id vaibhav... we have couple of pics , will mail it to you..

vaibhav
09-07-2007, 12:13 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by shanky:
what's your mail id vaibhav... we have couple of pics , will mail it to you.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

vaibhav.kjsce@hotmail.com

Patrick
09-07-2007, 03:30 PM
RPI tried this once and it was devastatingly terrible. We sandwiched an aluminum sprocket with flat sheets of silicon carbide for an improved friction surface. With all the associated fasteners and random spacers etc it ended up being quite heavy. After that, we switched to outboard rotors and reaped the benefits of not braking through the diff. http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

-Patrick DeGrosse Jr.
RPI Alum
NASA - Jet Propulsion Laboratory