PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with ANSYS

Dunk Mckay
10-27-2012, 08:29 AM
Hi guys,s orry to be annoying and boring. But I'm having trouble with ansys.

I'm trying to model a space frame design using ansys classic 14. The issue is that when I specify different wall thickness for different members it seems to make no difference.

I've simplified everything down and just modeled two beams side by side, with drastically different cross sections under the same load and it's spat out exactly the same deflections, etc. for both beams. i am defining different element types, then assigning different beam sections, then in meshtool selecintg the beams I want to assign the different sections to separately...

Most of the tutorials I've found online are for older version of ANSYS using beam4 or pipe16, but they are now unsupported so it doesn't let me use them. ANSYS documentation I have found recommends to use beam 188, so I am. But as I said I don't seem to be able to actually specify different cross sections for different members and it actually have any effect. So am getting a bit stuck.

Did anyone have this sort of teething problem their first time? Is there a box that I'm supposed to be ticking? Is there a specific way you have to select and deselect members when specifying beam sections?

For now I am at a loss. Any tips or advice would be appreciated.

RicardoF
10-27-2012, 10:12 AM
Are you sure that pipe16 is unsupported?
I know that you cannot select it with GUI but I think you can force it with code.

Try this on your 2 beam simple approach

ET,1,PIPE16
R,1,25.4E-3,2.4E-3, , , , ,
RMORE, , , , , , ,
RMORE, ,
LSEL, S, ,, 1, 2, 1,
LATT, 1, 1, 1,,,,
LMESH,all

This will mesh your lines
This way you can check if pipe16 is still implicitly in ANSYS

I don't know if you already tried this. I still use ANSYS 12 because the recent versions have this issues.

But I have the idea that I helped someone with ANSYS 14/13 with a similar problem over an year ago but I am not sure

Regards,

Dunk Mckay
10-27-2012, 04:43 PM
Yeah you can force pipe16 or beam4 with code, or even just typing the numbers into the gui. But when you try to define real constants it just just comes up with an error message saying they are no longer supported and wont let you do it.