PDA

View Full Version : New Engineering student needs help

spcdggy
12-13-2006, 03:12 PM
I am an Engineering student at Temple University and this is my first bit of involvement in the FSAE.
so to further my involvement and knowledge into mechanical engineering have to ask for help from the members of this board.

My first question is about the nature of these races. are the races primarily drag races or do they include some number of laps around a track. also is there any set rules about these races that I should know about.

Currently I am researching the effects of aerodynamic grip and I wanted to gather as much info as possible on the subject.

Any suggestions for a design will be greatly appreciated

spcdggy
12-13-2006, 03:12 PM
I am an Engineering student at Temple University and this is my first bit of involvement in the FSAE.
so to further my involvement and knowledge into mechanical engineering have to ask for help from the members of this board.

My first question is about the nature of these races. are the races primarily drag races or do they include some number of laps around a track. also is there any set rules about these races that I should know about.

Currently I am researching the effects of aerodynamic grip and I wanted to gather as much info as possible on the subject.

Any suggestions for a design will be greatly appreciated

spcdggy
12-13-2006, 03:18 PM
also is using airfoils and wings against any rules in these competitions?

Ian M
12-13-2006, 03:24 PM
Go to www.sae.org (http://www.sae.org) to read the rules and specs. about the competition. Search the forum for MANY aerodynamic related posts. Not many teams use aero packages due to the fact that we don't see high speeds and it adds weight. Do some research yourself on the forum and read the rules of the competition or you'll get bitched at for asking stupid questions that have been asked many time before. There is A LOT of info. available on this forum, so take advantage of it.

spcdggy
12-13-2006, 03:35 PM
thank you
you just saved me lots of grief

Ehsan
12-13-2006, 08:53 PM
Punch in "FSAE" or "Formula SAE" into google video or youtube and be ready to waste some time.

Then listen to Ian and be prepared to drink from the firehose that can be FSAE.