PDA

View Full Version : Dundee University major crash

mech5496
11-09-2011, 06:15 AM
I was just informed by a very unfortunate event via the ImechE facebook page.

"A serious incident involving a driver from Dundee University’s DRIVE Formula Student team happened yesterday at the Knockhill racing circuit. The driver involved has suffered serious head injuries and is in a serious but stable condition. We are talking with the university to find out the full facts behind the accident."

I must admit I am quite shocked by that incident, as I thought that FSAE cars are really safe...that raises the questions about their actual safety and whether they should be raced in such events. Does anybody has more info about the accident itself, or any updates on the drivers' condition?!I wish him a full and fast recovery, and our thoughts (mine, our teams' and I think everyones' in the FSAE world) are very much with him and his family.

mech5496
11-09-2011, 06:15 AM
I was just informed by a very unfortunate event via the ImechE facebook page.

"A serious incident involving a driver from Dundee University’s DRIVE Formula Student team happened yesterday at the Knockhill racing circuit. The driver involved has suffered serious head injuries and is in a serious but stable condition. We are talking with the university to find out the full facts behind the accident."

I must admit I am quite shocked by that incident, as I thought that FSAE cars are really safe...that raises the questions about their actual safety and whether they should be raced in such events. Does anybody has more info about the accident itself, or any updates on the drivers' condition?!I wish him a full and fast recovery, and our thoughts (mine, our teams' and I think everyones' in the FSAE world) are very much with him and his family.

BrendonD
11-09-2011, 06:22 AM
No one here is going to express an opinion one way or the other without more information on the situation that led to the crash, and before/after pictures of the car. I can guarantee that some very smart people are going to do forensic crash analysis on this incident. Only then will questions begin to be raised.

Of course that says nothing of the not-so-smart people who will jump to conclusions and claim that what we do is incredibly dangerous and should be shut down completely.

I echo your sentiments about the driver, I hope he makes a full and quick recovery.

Funky Luke
11-09-2011, 07:16 AM
Generally speaking, FSAE cars are (due to the rule set) very safe, as long as they are used in an environment that is comparable to an FSAE event. That means: narrow tracks with ~70mph top speed with large run-off areas around them.
FSAE Events have been around for some time and the worst (on-event) crash I can remember (aside from fire incidents) is the near-rollover of a car where the driver suffered a couple of bruises.
However, many FSAE cars are able to exceed 100mph, and if you throw curbstones, lamp posts and other immovable objects in the equation then all bets are off.
This should be a reminder to always be careful and use maximum precaution when bringing any racecar to whichever track. There are many things that can go wrong and, as explained by Pat & Steve in this years FSG design review, too many people take risks light-heartedly (which I do not want to imply was the case here!).
So be safe & best wishes to the driver involved...

-Luke

P-Baller
11-09-2011, 09:56 AM
I will point the current team members to this thread and ask them to update it and explain the incident as and when they feel it is right to do so.

The latest update I have heard was late last night. At that point he was in a serious but stable condition. My thoughts are with him, his family and the rest of the team at this sad time.

JWard
11-15-2011, 02:09 AM
Is there any news on how the driver is? Hoping for the best, Joel