PDA

View Full Version : Rubicon Differential w/ Inboard Brakes

Nate Notta
01-01-2005, 08:36 AM
We are probably using the Honda Rubicon differential this year for the first time. I was wondering, for the teams who have used one (Kettering, Monash, etc)..

1. Do you use a custom case with the diff internals, or use the diff as it comes?

*** 2. Have you run the rubicon diff with inboard rear brakes?

Nate Notta
01-01-2005, 08:36 AM
We are probably using the Honda Rubicon differential this year for the first time. I was wondering, for the teams who have used one (Kettering, Monash, etc)..

1. Do you use a custom case with the diff internals, or use the diff as it comes?

*** 2. Have you run the rubicon diff with inboard rear brakes?

Nate Notta
01-04-2005, 05:57 AM
http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Big Daddy
01-04-2005, 06:32 PM
Ok one question, by inboard do you mean on the input shaft for the output(cv) shaft? I have done this both ways on a Yamaha Grizzly diff. One way I did it in a hurry was to weld a ring onto the inner cv cup and then bold on rotors, worked fine. Stock housing in my opinion are pretty much as light as possible, considering that you are using a higher RPM motor than it was intended for then I would just use stock. I know that its a little late but has anyone ever thought of using a Grizzly front diff? They are limited slip but have a locking mechanism that can lock both wheels together, I guess I am just asking if there is a need to lock the rear tires in like an accel or something. Just throwing that out there, Nate I hope this helps and sorry for being long winded. http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Nate Notta
01-05-2005, 08:00 AM
Well yeah I mean either on a rotor connected to the diff, or a rotor connected to the shaft... basically so that the brake torque gets transmitted through the differential internals. With outboard braking the torques will not travel through the half-shafts to the diff.
But I'm asking about it because I wanted to know if someone has put the brake torque through the rubicon before with no problem...

Jarrod
01-06-2005, 06:48 PM
we ran brake on sprocket in 2002 with the standard case without an issue, ran outboard in 03, and had inboard last year (custom CV joins), but the car hasn't been driven. Wollongong ran inboard brakes with a custom case. Inboard or outboard shouldn't matter as far as the diff is concerned, just affects the CVs and half shafts.

Nate Notta
01-07-2005, 10:45 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jarrod:
we ran brake on sprocket in 2002 with the standard case without an issue, ran outboard in 03, and had inboard last year (custom CV joins), but the car hasn't been driven. Wollongong ran inboard brakes with a custom case. Inboard or outboard shouldn't matter as far as the diff is concerned, just affects the CVs and half shafts. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks man, that's what I wanted to know. Looks like we are using the rubicon in the original case, braking inboard... unless we can convince our dtrain guys to build a custom case.

Jonathan D
01-07-2005, 10:55 AM
Won't you have to seal the stock case?

Also, it only has one flange for the ring gear in stock application. So, if you plan to run the case on an FSAE car with inboard brakes, you'll need to either run a sprotor or weld on a flange.

Nate Notta
01-07-2005, 05:16 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jonathan Dell:
Won't you have to seal the stock case?

Also, it only has one flange for the ring gear in stock application. So, if you plan to run the case on an FSAE car with inboard brakes, you'll need to either run a sprotor or weld on a flange. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well as for sealing the stock case (there are holes in it) I'm told there is a school who simply sealed it with silicon. Sounds fishy to me but if it works it works.