PDA

View Full Version : rack and pinion gear profile ratio

SanmeeTT
09-11-2007, 10:31 PM
folks i need help regarding the gear profile ratio for rack n pinion ..

can some suggest me with rack length that can be suitably used for a front track width of 1285 mm...

so that my driver gets the road feel proper...

SanmeeTT
09-11-2007, 10:31 PM
folks i need help regarding the gear profile ratio for rack n pinion ..

can some suggest me with rack length that can be suitably used for a front track width of 1285 mm...

so that my driver gets the road feel proper...

Fyhr
09-12-2007, 03:45 AM
As i wrote in some other steering rack thread,

Rack width doesnt matter much for steering feel, choose a width that can give you minimal bumpsteer.

Steering feel is a combination of scrub and caster giving you an overturning moment, this in combination with all your gear ratios from the wheel up to your steering wheel (lever on the upright, gearing on rack&pinion and size of the steering wheel) will determine the feedback to the driver.

Osth
09-14-2007, 06:28 AM
I have to agree with Pontus about the feel, if the steering system has little play it should be the other parameters that are more important for the driver feedback.

One thing to consider though for the gear ratio is how much steering wheel angle you want for full lock steering. I designed the '07 Chalmers steering so that we only had ~90 deg to full lock. That was good because the driver doesn't have to shift his hands, but after driving 11 km of endurance they are pretty worn out so ask your driver how they want it and then blame them =).