PDA

View Full Version : CBR 600 RR

skwiz
02-09-2012, 03:34 AM
Dear All,

We are a new team in France willing to build à (first) car, so we are looking for model of the CBR engine to be able to work on design.
(CATIA if poss, IGES/... of even plans...).

Moreover we are a very little group and with low budget, so any help on engine would be really nice as nobody can be only dedicated to it in our group...
As this engine is often used, lot of new teams try to stard with it so that could be nice if we could the basis of its use...

1st STEP :
Let me try... : To set a FSAE engine that can run can in a car (we are not yet wondering much about performance), we NEED to (looking for the simpliest way)
- create a new intake including the restricor (and fixation for the injection system)
- create a new exhaust system (that does not pass under the engine to lower the mass center)
- instal a new Engine Control Unit (I saw somewhere here that DTAfast had the CBR pre set so no need to work on cranks position). Is that step necessary and will it be easy (I mean in term of "compatibility" with the original engine wiring and links) ?

Is that all at least for what needs to be created ? Can we use all the original other elements of the engine ?

After that we set the engine and it will run ? (excluding tank, transmission, and gear selection points).

2nd STEP : about intake and exhaust
Which is(are) you favourite book(s) about it ?

Has anyone even old working plan of these to start with ? (as I said, we have very low time dedicated to this and we are rather willing to work on the car structure as the hole projet will certainly not be finished when my promotion will leave the school)

About the ECU, is it sold with the computer connection and program ? we only have then to connect both and set it up on a engine machine (don't know the name in english...). Is it expensive

Finally what about the different year model of CBR (the fixations are the same on each one ? we car work on any model found for the car design and any year model engine bought will fit or the model really needs to match the engine)

Than you in advance to all that can help, and sorry for my english...

asso.sportmeca@orange.fr

(I know lot of you are used to say that all the answers are in the forum so I should not ask, but I had a look and couldn't find much... So if those people could be clever enouth just leave this page I would be greatful to them !)

skwiz
02-09-2012, 03:34 AM
Dear All,

We are a new team in France willing to build à (first) car, so we are looking for model of the CBR engine to be able to work on design.
(CATIA if poss, IGES/... of even plans...).

Moreover we are a very little group and with low budget, so any help on engine would be really nice as nobody can be only dedicated to it in our group...
As this engine is often used, lot of new teams try to stard with it so that could be nice if we could the basis of its use...

1st STEP :
Let me try... : To set a FSAE engine that can run can in a car (we are not yet wondering much about performance), we NEED to (looking for the simpliest way)
- create a new intake including the restricor (and fixation for the injection system)
- create a new exhaust system (that does not pass under the engine to lower the mass center)
- instal a new Engine Control Unit (I saw somewhere here that DTAfast had the CBR pre set so no need to work on cranks position). Is that step necessary and will it be easy (I mean in term of "compatibility" with the original engine wiring and links) ?

Is that all at least for what needs to be created ? Can we use all the original other elements of the engine ?

After that we set the engine and it will run ? (excluding tank, transmission, and gear selection points).

2nd STEP : about intake and exhaust
Which is(are) you favourite book(s) about it ?

Has anyone even old working plan of these to start with ? (as I said, we have very low time dedicated to this and we are rather willing to work on the car structure as the hole projet will certainly not be finished when my promotion will leave the school)

About the ECU, is it sold with the computer connection and program ? we only have then to connect both and set it up on a engine machine (don't know the name in english...). Is it expensive

Finally what about the different year model of CBR (the fixations are the same on each one ? we car work on any model found for the car design and any year model engine bought will fit or the model really needs to match the engine)

Than you in advance to all that can help, and sorry for my english...

asso.sportmeca@orange.fr

(I know lot of you are used to say that all the answers are in the forum so I should not ask, but I had a look and couldn't find much... So if those people could be clever enouth just leave this page I would be greatful to them !)

Jon Burford
02-09-2012, 07:14 AM
Hi, I can offer help regarding your ECU.
You will need to heavily modify or create a new wiring loom to use any kind of different ECU.
The DTA is very good because it will be compatible with all the CBR600RR sensors needed to run the engine. It will also have it's crank/cam sync already setup for you.
The kind of intake system and exhaust that you use though will heavily effect how well the dta provided engine maps will work. If you want it to run well you will need to be able to alter the map yourself. For this you will need at least a rolling road, prefferably an engine Dynamometer.
The DTA does not come with connectors or computer connection cable although they arent very expensive and the software is free.

Regarless of your searching there is a lot of information on this forum about intake and exhaust design and I would advise that you search again and try google too.

last year we used the 2008 CBR 600 rr, I do not know if the mouting points on different versions are the same or different.

I hope this is of help

JT A.
02-09-2012, 08:18 AM
After a certain year the CBR600RR's changed mounting points. I believe it was either 07 or 09.

B Lewis @ PE Engine Management
02-09-2012, 03:36 PM
We can help with the ECU. Our PE3 system is used by many FSAE teams with the CBR600RR engine (and many others). It uses all of the stock sensors, trigger wheels and comes with a base file, the software and harnesses. The cost is $998 for FSAE teams.

Make sure when you get your engine that you get all of the sensors, ignition coils and injectors. That makes setting the engine up a snap.

Contact me offline if I can help any more.

Good luck with your first car.