PDA

View Full Version : 10" r25b Hoosier tires question

Mike Cook
04-05-2010, 07:14 PM
Has anyone used the 18.0 x 6.0-10 tire? I'm curious as to how it does with heat cycles. Lots of tread left, but the tire just went away mysteriously after being fine yesterday. Never experienced anything like this with the 13x7 's.
Thanks

Mike Cook
04-05-2010, 07:14 PM
Has anyone used the 18.0 x 6.0-10 tire? I'm curious as to how it does with heat cycles. Lots of tread left, but the tire just went away mysteriously after being fine yesterday. Never experienced anything like this with the 13x7 's.
Thanks

flavorPacket
04-05-2010, 09:29 PM
Yes, extensively. They are fickle little guys.

If you're not cording a set in one and a half to two days of testing, something is wrong.

PS All the 10" teams changed from the R25 after RMIT and Michigan stopped using the R25A in 2006 (they were 1st and 3rd that year).

exFSAE
04-06-2010, 06:31 AM
Have you been keeping track of cold and hot durometer measurements? Have they gotten harder over time? Not getting as soft with temperature?

Mike Cook
04-07-2010, 06:46 PM
ok. That sucks. Thanks for the input. I will post up anything else I figure out about these suckers.

flavorPacket
04-07-2010, 08:51 PM
you'll be the only one. 10" teams don't really share info. Hell, telling you about the other compounds will probably get me kicked out of the club...

Radii
04-07-2010, 08:59 PM
We learned the hard way at Michigan in 2007 that these tires weren't very friendly. IIRC we switched to the R25B for the front, and something else I am not remembering for the rears. They were definitely 10"s but wider than the normal hoosiers we ran and were not marketed to fsae. Can't recall the exact build/compound but it was in one of their other product lines, and we weren't the only team to try them out with success...but I don't remember which those other teams were. Maybe flavorPacket knows what I am talking about and can add his 2 cents to my now distant memories..

Mike Cook
04-11-2010, 01:31 PM
We put a new set on this weekend and everything was back to normal. The old set had a durometer of about 55, new set around 51. So it wasn't that much harder, our rear tires were harder than that but never gave out. Very weird.

J.R.
04-12-2010, 06:10 AM
Pretty sure the "other compound" run by 10" teams like RMIT and ETS is LC0.

Nick.Jayjock
04-14-2010, 05:07 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Radii:
We learned the hard way at Michigan in 2007 that these tires weren't very friendly. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Could you elaborate on what "not being friendly" is? Were the tires just not durable enough/ lasting long enough?

We are in the process of reviving a dormant team, and the last team left us with some sets of mildly used R25B's and A's. (1 type is in better condition than the other)
So in the interest of cost, it sounds like the R25's wear faster than other types. What are people's opinions on sticking with our current plan of designing to the R25A's, or focusing on a more "durable" tire. In the long run will there be a cost difference?
I feel that either way there shouldn't be a huge difference, but Im not sure having not been on a team with an active car. Our main goal as a team is to keep everything simple, but "cheap".