PDA

View Full Version : Stock ECU?

Austin Miller
02-15-2008, 02:19 PM
Hey Guys,

This is my first post on the forum, and I represent the new team at University of Nevada (in Reno, not Vegas).

I am the head of the Electronics Team, and I have a couple questions regarding what other teams have done.

We are thinking about using the stock engine computer on our 2003 GSXR 600, for simplicity sake. Is this a viable option, have other teams done the stock engine computer?

Ian M
02-15-2008, 03:15 PM
Well, you have to remember that you are required to bring engine air through a 20mm restictor, whereas the stock bike delivers air to the engine through 4 - 20mm butterflies (they may not be 20mm, but you get the picture).
Therefore the stock ECU fuel map is going to be set up expecting to see more air per throttle position than you will be supplying through the 20mm restrictor. Where you will really run into a problem is above 8-9000 rpm where the stock ECU will more than likely over-fuel the engine therefore causing it to run rich.

Performance Electronics and Motec make very high quality aftermarket ECUs.
Search the forum and their websites for the advantages and disadvantages of both companies.

PE provides you with a fuel and ignition map that are close enough to get the engine running, but Motec offers more capabilities such as data logging and built in lambda sensor. I hear PE has a new one on the way, but it won't be ready for this year.
If you get the PE, you are going to need an air/fuel meter and access to a dyno (some dyno's have air/fuel meters).

Let me know if you have any specific questions, but this should get you started with your research.

Austin Miller
02-20-2008, 11:22 AM
What about Powercommander or some sort of aftermarket piggy back system. That would be an appropriate way of chaning the fuel map for the engine computer, correct? I am sure a few teams have gone this route, any thoughts?

Marshall.Hagen
02-20-2008, 11:29 AM
If you have the ability to tune fuel and spark maps with a power commander (I am not too familiar with the power commander), then that should work, and would be a simple setup to start out with, seeing as it is your first attempt at a Formula-SAE motor.

You should really find a tuning solution that will allow you some flexible outputs, like fan control for hot weather climates, as well as good idle control and water temp enrichment, and the ability to run the maps off of TPS instead of manifold pressure.

Good luck,
Marshall

murpia
02-20-2008, 11:52 AM
Seems to me the dyno mapping effort required to get a piggyback tuning solution up and running with a 20mm restrictor and plenum is no less than that required with an aftermarket ECU.

With transient mapping in the car, you'll need some datalogging, and I don't know if piggybacks can do that.

I would go the ECU route, as it's more flexible, lighter (especially with a dedicate dloom), should have datalogging and you won't have to mess around with defaulting all those kickstand / tilt switch / imobiliser inputs on the stock ECU (search the forum...).

Regards, Ian

Austin Miller
02-28-2008, 03:16 PM
How difficult is it to set up an aftermarket ECU? I think that the team is worried about the difficulty of setting up an aftermarket system, as opposed to the apparent simplicity of using the stock engine computer (albeit with some modifications to default the sensors).

I have been looking at AEM systems, they seem pretty nice. I hear a few teams use these computers. Any thoughts on them?

Kirk Feldkamp
02-28-2008, 05:09 PM
There has already been a tremendous amount of discussion on this exact subject on this forum. Use the 'find' button to search for what you're looking for. If you have specific questions regarding functionality or something, I'm sure people would be happy to help.

The problem with the question you asked is the discussion inevitably digresses into an arguement over personal preferences... and very few of the people on here have used multiple systems (hence it's a mostly just a lot of hot air). I'm convinced that the quality of one's "ECU experience" is predicated on whether or not the person doing the system setup and wiring is really prepared for the task. A solid knowledge in proper wiring practices, sensors and measurement, and the functionality of the ECU in question are by far the most important factors that that will lead to a successful endeavor.

-Kirk