PDA

View Full Version : Titanium for 2009

Aaron@Kaist
06-23-2008, 04:24 AM
Was wondering if anyone knew what would be the rules on using titanium as the main material on a chassis for 2009. I read somewhere that it could be outlawed but I cant really seem to find any solid evidence of this. When will the new rules be released? Any help on this Ti issue would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

Aaron@Kaist
06-23-2008, 04:24 AM
Was wondering if anyone knew what would be the rules on using titanium as the main material on a chassis for 2009. I read somewhere that it could be outlawed but I cant really seem to find any solid evidence of this. When will the new rules be released? Any help on this Ti issue would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

Austin B
06-23-2008, 07:43 AM
They mentioned banning welded titanium components at the awards ceremony this year. I am not sure if that is for next year or 2010 though. As for the new rules, I emailed them and they told me they would be released by the end of August. Sorry for the lack of detail.

Osth
06-23-2008, 08:25 AM
Any idea why they would like to ban Ti-space frames? Is is too hard to weld or to fragile etc?

D Collins Jr
06-23-2008, 08:52 AM
If memory serves correctly, Mr Royce said that welded Titanium members could not be used for the required members of the frame, in 2009, because it is difficult to weld to the point that it causes a safety concern to them (Rules Cmte).

Conor
06-23-2008, 04:43 PM
Titanium is EXTREMELY hard to weld and I would believe their concern of it being a safety issue. If you're thinking about welding Titanium, just ask Kettering about how they used to make their uprights - you'll think twice.

exFSAE
06-23-2008, 06:45 PM
Oh it's not that bad. It requires either some up front equipment, or going REALLY silly slow.. but its not that bad from a dexterity standpoint.

Aaron@Kaist
06-23-2008, 07:20 PM
by required members of the frame, does that mean the main roll hoop/front roll hoop components? What if these components were welded seperately and attached via a mechanical flange? Or is there zero welds allowed on these members. I know that the rules aren't released yet but based on what Mr.Royce announced....the problem is we're a first year team and as weird as it sounds, titanium will be much easier for us than mild steel. (Because of resources available and instructor availbility) we're learning how to weld titanium as a team, but we have no idea how to go about welding steel. AHHHHHHHHHHH!

Pete Fodor
06-24-2008, 10:40 AM
Molten Titanium reacts violently with air so you need an argon booth to weld Titanium.

D Collins Jr
06-24-2008, 09:42 PM
Aaron,
Roll Hoops have always had to be steel. If it's a required member, it cannot be welded titanium. Using mechanical 'flange' attachments will be heavy, ugly, and rob you of stiffness. I don't believe for a minute that you are better titanium welders than steel welders, or that you couldn't learn steel quick enough to be better off going that route. Call around, find a vo-tech, and learn to weld steel. Oh, and questions of legality should be sent to Kathleen McDonald.

Wesley
06-30-2008, 08:13 AM
Welding steel is generally a matter of sitting down with a welder and dicking around for a week or two. You could probably stick two pieces together within the first 20 minutes.

Do that with titanium and you have a bunch of melted titanium bits for a few weeks at best.

Welding Ti by hand will never be easier for anyone than welding steel by hand.

Conor
06-30-2008, 12:56 PM
I agree with Wesley. If you're using a MIG welder, mild steel is pretty much point and shoot.

exFSAE
06-30-2008, 02:06 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pete Fodor:
Molten Titanium reacts violently with air so you need an argon booth to weld Titanium. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There's ways of getting around it... having a really wide lens with plenty of flow, and/or going really slowly. Like.. a couple dabs at a time. It's absurdly slow, but it works.

When they come out right the welds look rad. Like little frozen puddles of mercury or somethin.