PDA

View Full Version : Dyno/Absorber-type Experiences/Feedback

Xeilos
06-25-2010, 09:13 AM
Our engine dynamometer sponsor recently moved to a smaller shop and can 'no longer accomodate or team'. Luckily/unluckily for us we are getting a new building with an engine dyno room that does not have an engine dyno in it.

I have searched the forums and read through people's feedback on different dyno types and brands. The question I am posing is this:

I am looking for different engine dynamometer feedback/experiences/reviews to get a gauge of what works well for application testing in FSAE. Feedback on different brands and types of dyno's are appreciated.

VFR750R
06-28-2010, 03:21 PM
Your best bet will likely be a water brake, after all costs are considered. Afraid of being an unpaid endorser of a particular brake, I would look at the following companies products but don't necessarily limit yourself to these.

Land and Sea
Superflow
DTS
Stuska
dynojet

Look up customer satisfaction, ease of use of data acquisition, total cost-not just the brake, some brakes come with water and oil conditioning systems (which you'll need), stands for the brake and engine, driveshaft components, etc.

I highly recommend a form of automated speed control. This will make testing much more repeatable and faster (which will require less engine life per test, creating long term recovery of the additional up front costs).

How much water are you going to need, are you going to try to recover some of it, or have a total loss system?

I would consider an electric dyno if you can afford it, but overall costs will be higher. Think about things like electrician costs tying into the buildings 220 or even 3 phase supply if you go that route.