PDA

View Full Version : Static Camber

GTmule
02-14-2005, 05:11 PM
Still trying to get my head around this Geometry thing, though I've come a long way.

What kind of static camber do most of yall end up running? I think I'm in the range on camber gain and scrub radius, and the like, I wanna take a first whack at an upright, and was wondering what my "baseline" static camber oughta be. Not much pre-existing data, and this is my first year on the team.

Thanks guys,
Chuck

Denny Trimble
02-14-2005, 05:51 PM
0 to -1.5, depending on everything else http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

fade
02-15-2005, 02:31 PM
-3 for best tire wear

Big D
02-16-2005, 08:28 PM
pretty much what you have to design for is your highest negative camber - what the tire would sit at with no shims installed..... I am trying to figure this out too..... just how gigantic of a stack of shims do I want to run, say if I wanted the option of going down to -4deg (No shims), but ended up shimming to -1 or 0?

I'm trying to get some idea of the craziest lean I might ever want on that tire, in reality. Is -4 more than I'd ever want?

GTmule
02-16-2005, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by Big D:
pretty much what you have to design for is your highest negative camber - what the tire would sit at with no shims installed..... I am trying to figure this out too..... just how gigantic of a stack of shims do I want to run, say if I wanted the option of going down to -4deg (No shims), but ended up shimming to -1 or 0?

I'm trying to get some idea of the craziest lean I might ever want on that tire, in reality. Is -4 more than I'd ever want?

Yeah, what he said.

Jarrod
02-16-2005, 11:17 PM
it all depends on your suspension/steering geometry (FVSA, KPI, caster), roll stiffness, rigidity of wheel/hub/upright. our 2003 car ran with up to 3 degrees negative camber at static, where i have seen some cars running quite successfully with what looks like less than 1 degree negative. -3 was pretty extreme for this type of car I think.

Frank
02-18-2005, 07:37 AM
much neg cmber for radials

little for crossplys (hoosier) -1 to -1.5 deg