PDA

View Full Version : cnc plasma cutter

Biggy72
10-15-2007, 10:15 PM
It looks like we will be getting a plasma cutter this week and I was thinking about something. Does anyone on here have a cnc plasma cutter, and if so what type? How accurate is it in comparison to a water jet or laser cutter? It seems like it could be a nice investment. I also found an attatchment for cutting profiles on tubes. It seems like that would work well while building the chassis.

Anyway give me your thoughts and concerns.

Biggy72
10-15-2007, 10:15 PM
It looks like we will be getting a plasma cutter this week and I was thinking about something. Does anyone on here have a cnc plasma cutter, and if so what type? How accurate is it in comparison to a water jet or laser cutter? It seems like it could be a nice investment. I also found an attatchment for cutting profiles on tubes. It seems like that would work well while building the chassis.

Anyway give me your thoughts and concerns.

RySem
10-19-2007, 06:49 AM
Derek, I used a PlasmaCAM CNC plasma cutter system in high school. It is a great tool for many things, but setup is critical. The torch has to be set to a specific height above the material...a little bit off and you will find yourself with a heck of a slag issue. As far as precision goes, water jet certainly has plasma beat but at exponentially higher cost. A CNC plasma setup is probably affordable for most teams, so it might be a great investment.