PDA

View Full Version : Tire opinions

Rotarynut
07-31-2011, 07:44 AM
Hey guys,
I'm a member of Western Washington University's formula SAE team. We are discussing what we want to do as far as tires for this next 2011-2012 year.
In the past, we used the Goodyear 2692 20x7x13, this year we ran the Hoosier R25B 20.5x7x13. We were very happy with the performance and longevity of the Goodyears, but we are wary of using their new tires that do not yet have Calspan data released. We were happy with the Hoosiers as well, but they ran out of tread so quickly, that we are unsure that we would be able to bankroll another seasons worth of tires for testing and competing.

What I'm hoping to do is get your opinions and knowledge of the tires you guys have used. They don't have to be just Goodyears or Hoosiers, we are also interested in Avons, Continentals, Michelin, or whatever else are being used.
Information on slicks, intermediates, and wet tires would all be appreciated. Finally, we have not set on whether we want to run 10s or 13s yet.

Thanks everyone.

Rotarynut
07-31-2011, 07:44 AM
Hey guys,
I'm a member of Western Washington University's formula SAE team. We are discussing what we want to do as far as tires for this next 2011-2012 year.
In the past, we used the Goodyear 2692 20x7x13, this year we ran the Hoosier R25B 20.5x7x13. We were very happy with the performance and longevity of the Goodyears, but we are wary of using their new tires that do not yet have Calspan data released. We were happy with the Hoosiers as well, but they ran out of tread so quickly, that we are unsure that we would be able to bankroll another seasons worth of tires for testing and competing.

What I'm hoping to do is get your opinions and knowledge of the tires you guys have used. They don't have to be just Goodyears or Hoosiers, we are also interested in Avons, Continentals, Michelin, or whatever else are being used.
Information on slicks, intermediates, and wet tires would all be appreciated. Finally, we have not set on whether we want to run 10s or 13s yet.

Thanks everyone.

Spetsnazos
07-31-2011, 10:45 AM
I'm confused. What exactly is your goal? You want performance, longevity, price???

You want the tires to last through a whole season of testing AND perform well at competition?

Then you're not sure about 10's or 13s. Going from 13's to 10's changes quite a bit on your car performance wise...

But that said I think you should go with 22's.

Chris B
07-31-2011, 01:37 PM
tire performance with regards to wear in particular will depend more on track surface, car design and driver style so every team would find different things from the exact same tire. a good example of this is the tire issues in F1.

its about managing what you have in a smart, efficient way. there's stuff to be learnt about your car and drivers from running a test day on shagged rubber, just like there's stuff to be learnt from new tires. it also may help stretch the tire life if you rotate the tires around on the car if possible to share the loading.

Rotarynut
08-06-2011, 12:04 PM
Sorry guys. I was nowhere as clear as I should have been. Then I lost track of this post... so I redid it just now:
http://fsae.com/eve/forums/a/t...20763051#27120763051 (http://fsae.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/125607348/m/27120763051?r=27120763051#27120763051)

It has more direction on what I am looking for.