PDA

View Full Version : dry sump drive system

kovacs
01-10-2006, 09:05 PM
I was curious to know what teams have done for drive systems for dry sumps. im sure you run some sort of shaft extended from the crank, but how do you go about attaching this to the crank??

thanks guys

kovacs
01-10-2006, 09:05 PM
I was curious to know what teams have done for drive systems for dry sumps. im sure you run some sort of shaft extended from the crank, but how do you go about attaching this to the crank??

thanks guys

Ben Inkster
01-10-2006, 09:40 PM
The most common method (in fact the only method I have heard of in fsae) is to use the drive shaft from the water pump to run a gyrotor oil pump. Most teams then use a electric water pump for the cooling circuit but you could accommodate both off the one shaft.

Dave M
01-10-2006, 10:15 PM
Ditto for us. Arizona has run a system like the one you described above, I think it worked well. Washington ran one too.

BeaverGuy
01-10-2006, 10:35 PM
At Oregon State we have run a custom drysump off of the trigger wheel connection for four years. We replace the stock trigger wheel with a love joy coupler. The first year the pump was belt driven from this connection, but since then it has used a gear drive instead.

Psychosis
01-11-2006, 02:40 PM
removing the water pump and connecting there negates the need for a gear system (keep it simple). this is how the majority of teams running the CBR600 operate, but it depends on your engine.

Maverik
01-11-2006, 04:22 PM
That's how we have run it, just be careful you pick the right water pump. Otherwise using the stock water pump drive off of the oil pump works extremely well! Granted you have to machine a mount for it.

Micko..
01-12-2006, 10:37 PM
hi all

just wondering what oil pumps other teams are using? in 04 we ran with a zzr1100 pump, then went to a wet sump in 05, and i stopped looking into it. but would be curious as to what esle is getting around these days.

cheers

Dave M
01-12-2006, 11:10 PM
http://www.daileyengineering.com
Awesome pumps

This topic has also been talked about greatly. Use the search function.

Psychosis
01-13-2006, 10:49 AM
most teams, including ourselves run with the Pace pump (http://www.paceproducts.co.uk). though it is expensive. ive toyed with the idea of trying to mate two standard gerroters from a cbr600 together in a custom housing, as ive seen a couple of teams do with other engines. anyone tried this?

Scotty
01-13-2006, 11:04 AM
Ken Taggart at TPE builds some awesome dry sump systems for the DSR cars.He is also our partner on the Chain Drive Diff. 717-285-7348

http://www.tpe-inc.com/.

Psychosis
01-13-2006, 03:31 PM
those are some pretty sweet looking sump systems, would be cool if we could fit a two port scavenge inside a CBR, would be very neat when combined with a low sump height.

GTmule
03-05-2006, 10:03 PM
Is it me, or does the waterpump drive shaft on a CBR rotate the "wrong" way for most standard dry sump pumps? I stood there for a quite a while today trying to figure that one out. Of cours eI'd been doinf Solar HW all day......

Psychosis
03-06-2006, 01:03 AM
thats why when you buy a pump, you specify the rotation direction!

jonny
01-16-2007, 08:14 AM
just wondering , why doesn;t anyone use an electric oil pump instead??

Marshall Grice
01-16-2007, 08:51 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">just wondering , why doesn;t anyone use an electric oil pump instead?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
cause we're affraid?

Ehsan
01-16-2007, 08:36 PM
Don't take this as the complete truth, but I think the temperature and the availability of a pump to move the more viscous oil (compared to water) is a factor. I know I've looked at lubrication pumps for diffs and such and they did not have adequate flow rates and they were much bigger (read: heavier) than the electric water pump you would need.

Plus most electric pumps are centrifugal which do not create much vacuum in the crankcase (one of the advantages of a dry sump). The mechanical ones are positive displacement and create some great vacuum. The mechanical pump follows the engine speed perfectly and pumps more oil as is needed. Water flow rates are slightly less sensitive since you don't need perfect water pressure/flow rate 100% of the time as you do with oil. If oil pressure drops even for a short period of time, goodbye crank bearings and camshaft journals.