PDA

View Full Version : Require Fatique data for Nylon 6 glass filled 30

Amlesh
03-05-2013, 11:47 PM
Hello All,

I ma curious to know the fatique data for a Nylon6 glass filled 30%.

If anyone of you knwo following data or direct s-n curve please let me know. Appreciate your help.

FYI: following are data.
Fatigue Strength Coefficient(sigma'_f):
Fatigue Strength Exponent (b):
Fatigue Ductility Coefficient (eps'_f):
Fatigue Ductility Exponent (c):
Transition Fatigue Life (2N_t):
Cyclic Strain Hardening Exponent (n'):
Cyclic Stress coefficient (K'):

Thanks & Regards,
Amlesh

Big Bird
03-06-2013, 12:54 AM
I'd be interested to know:

* What critical component you have designed using Nylon 6 glass filled 30%

* What sort of cyclic loading it is undergoing - including both number of cycles and magnitude. How have you measured this? How accurately can you predict the future loading of this component.

* What is the quality of this composite? Are you manufacturing it yourself? What quality control procedures are you using to keep the glass content to 30%?

* What sort of void percentage are we looking at here? Can you measure it, or will you just guess?

* What are you hoping to achieve with your fatigue analysis of this component?

Sorry for my scepticism, but I am concerned you are engaging in the folly of academic engineering. A PhD student might need the above data for Nylon6 glass filled 30% so he can finish his 400 page study on the prediction of fatigue properties of Nylon(X) glass filled (Y)% where X<8, 25<Y<40, get his dream job as a university lecturer, retreat from society and slowly die on the inside shielding himself from the painful truth that his second year mechanical design class doesn't find his jokes about the effects of voids on composite S/N properties very funny.

Sorry, I think I hijacked your thread...

Charles Kaneb
03-06-2013, 06:26 PM
The endurance limit for Nylon 6/GFRP 30 should be about 50 ksi http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

You should probably dig up a manufacturer's data sheet to confirm this.

Amlesh
03-06-2013, 07:39 PM
Dear Geoff,

Many thanks for your quick reply.

We are manufacturer of two wheeler switches. This is first time i am working on Fatique analysis. Actually I want to perform this fatique analysis using (simulation)CAE (either MSC Nastran, or Altair Hyper works).

Following are answer to your questions.
What critical component you have designed using Nylon 6 glass filled 30%
Ans: some of the parts in two wheeler switches are made up of this material case upper & lower.

* What sort of cyclic loading it is undergoing - including both number of cycles and magnitude. How have you measured this? How accurately can you predict the future loading of this component.

Ans: Not yet decided, I will check it.
* What is the quality of this composite? Are you manufacturing it yourself? What quality control procedures are you using to keep the glass content to 30%?
Ans: We are going to manufacturer in house only so we can control processing.

* What sort of void percentage are we looking at here? Can you measure it, or will you just guess?
Ans: There amy not be any voids in this componenet. Curisity is to predict failure of component after xx number of cycle.
* What are you hoping to achieve with your fatigue analysis of this component?
Ans: Since thsi first time we are working on fatique analysis. Curisity is to predict failure of component after xx number of cycle.

Appreciate your help!

Thanks & regards,
Amlesh

Adambomb
03-06-2013, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by Big Bird:
Sorry for my scepticism, but I am concerned you are engaging in the folly of academic engineering. A PhD student might need the above data for Nylon6 glass filled 30% so he can finish his 400 page study on the prediction of fatigue properties of Nylon(X) glass filled (Y)% where X<8, 25<Y<40, get his dream job as a university lecturer, retreat from society and slowly die on the inside shielding himself from the painful truth that his second year mechanical design class doesn't find his jokes about the effects of voids on composite S/N properties very funny.

As a PhD student I approve this message. However I am currently in the process of trying to get as far away from academia as possible, in hopes that I never return until what little hair I have left turns gray and I am old enough to get away with whatever I damn well please.