PDA

View Full Version : push and pull linkages

karthikpk
06-14-2005, 08:02 AM
we're a first year team from India, competing at fsae australasia 2005. we're using a 2001 yam R6 engine and plan to use the 3 pedal, hand shifter mechanism. i'd like to know the working of the push-pull linkages required to implement this system and what are the problems we're likely to face while using the same.........

karthikpk
06-14-2005, 08:02 AM
we're a first year team from India, competing at fsae australasia 2005. we're using a 2001 yam R6 engine and plan to use the 3 pedal, hand shifter mechanism. i'd like to know the working of the push-pull linkages required to implement this system and what are the problems we're likely to face while using the same.........

scooter2131
06-14-2005, 10:12 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">a first year team from India, competing at fsae australasia 2005. we're using a 2001 yam R6 engine and plan to use the 3 pedal, hand shifter mechanism. i'd like to know the working of the push-pull linkages required to implement this system and what are the problems we're likely to face while using the same......... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A lot of teams use a push-pull cable (usually off of Harleys) because they are semi-flexible and usually easier to package than solid linkages. Be careful when mounting any guide tabs for the ends of the cable so that you are not putting the rod-ends in bending; they'll snap really easy, especially when you're shifting hard (like you would in an acceleration run or any racing really). Also, consider placing mechanical stops on your shifter so you don't place unnecessary loading on the cable.