PDA

View Full Version : engine failure

Wildcat13
04-05-2004, 08:34 PM
Well, the University of Arizona just had the joy of blowing up our first engine. Luckily it happened now, not 2 days before competition. Would anyone happen to have an 01-02 gixxer laying around that they would like to part with at a fairly low cost?

Ryan Kanto - Wildcat Motorsports Team Captain

Kirk Feldkamp
04-05-2004, 09:06 PM
What did you end up breaking?

-Kirk

Dan Deussen @ Weber Motor
04-05-2004, 09:15 PM
Ebay is a great source. I just saw a 01 gixxer 600 go for under $500 including shipping.

I am also interested in what you broke. These engines are typically quite bulletproof as long as they have sufficient oil pressure and cooling.

Wildcat13
04-05-2004, 09:33 PM
We're looking on ebay right now.

As for what we broke, we're working on that right now as there is a crew tearing it apart, hopefully it will be replaceable. Unfortunately, it is completely seized right now and we're assuming the worst. I sure hope that after all those times we ripped it apart and rebuilt it, the last time we didn't forget to torque a nut somewhere.

Ryan

Wildcat13
04-05-2004, 11:01 PM
It ended up at least being a spun bearing. Someone apparently tapped the case with oil pan on, and there are several pieces of aluminum in the bearings, but its too early to point fingers yet. We're still checking to see if there was dammage to the cylinder walls or elsewhere.

Ryan

David Willard
04-06-2004, 03:09 PM
It was a spun bearing caused by insufficent oiling under hard cornering, rest of the engine is fine.

-Dave

Dan Deussen @ Weber Motor
04-06-2004, 03:37 PM
You might have to put more oil in the engine to keep the oil pump pickup from starving. Do you have any way to datalog engine rpm and oil pressure while driving? Just an oil pressure gauge is typically not sufficient as a pressure drop can somtimes only last a few tenth of a second and it will most likely not be recognized by the driver. At 12k rpm the engine spins 20 revs every tenth of a second so even a very short lasting drop in pressure at high rpm can do a lot of damage.

acracker
04-06-2004, 08:20 PM
We're just starting to play around with the new gixxer motors. The first thing that we did was chop 3 inches off the bottom the oil pan to drop the engine lower and make a custom flat pickup.
How did you guys run your sump?

Lyn Labahn UW-Madison
04-07-2004, 11:43 AM
For the 2001+ gixxers, we have been making our own pans, with a new pickup and internal baffeling.

Wildcat13
04-07-2004, 11:54 PM
We did something similar with a custom pan and pickup. We originally had baffles in, but got removed later. Apparently our pickup was improperly designed. I was told it was actually too close to the bottom of the pan, but I did not get a reason why, this seems somewhat counter-intuitive to me.

Ryan Kanto

acracker
04-08-2004, 06:28 PM
We were wondering the same thing when we were designing our pan and pickup. We ended up using a shrouded, flat, car style oil pickup that we positioned about .25" off the bottom. It seems like if your pickup was too close to the bottom of the pan it would cause problems while the engine was stationary and running on the dyno and not just while cornering.
What problems did you see with your baffles?

Justin Hodge
04-21-2004, 07:39 AM
DRY SUMP is your solution. Maybe consider looking into it for 05'

Matthew
04-21-2004, 10:07 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Justin Hodge:
DRY SUMP is your solution. Maybe consider looking into it for 05' <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

dry sump - been there, had it working 'reliably', passing on it for new car