PDA

View Full Version : Custom bike engines...

Cement Legs
11-14-2004, 06:54 AM
We are using an '03 F4i for our next car (or two, 0r 5), but I was just wondering if anyone has actually experimented with an engine out of a custom bike like a Honda Shadow or equivalent?

Cement Legs
11-14-2004, 06:54 AM
We are using an '03 F4i for our next car (or two, 0r 5), but I was just wondering if anyone has actually experimented with an engine out of a custom bike like a Honda Shadow or equivalent?

rjwoods77
11-14-2004, 10:36 AM
We are using a aircooled v-twin with a forced fan induction cooling on it. It is what is contributing to our small size and low weight, The motor is 590cc and weighs 65lbs with intake and exhaust on it. But I cant say what type it is. All I can say is that it is turning out to be a nice alternative to a big heavy 4 banger.

Travis Garrison
11-14-2004, 04:33 PM
Ok Rob, you've been bragging about the V twin long enough http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I have to take a guess. 600cc + 2 cylinders + 65lbs = no tranny...and air cooled + cooling fan + no tranny = industrail V-twin (honda, briggs etc.) ...unless the dukes have seperate trannys (mmmm 600cc air cooled desmo http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif )

Cement Legs, take a good look at the engine weights on those small cruisers, I believe most are fairly heavy, and none of them make a ton of power...plus the screwy firing order those harley guys love can't be good for breathing through a restrictor, so you would probably need forced induction to smooth out the intake flow. A couple of teams have used cruiser V twins in the past (I think Air Force used one in 2002), but I'm not sure if any have used them two years in a row.

If you want two cylinders some of the honda scooters are parallel twins, as are some of the snow mobiles, at least then you should have an even 360 degrees between intake pulses (I believe I've even seen one industrial flat twin, low CG and even firing).

-Travis Garrison
UW FSAE

Cement Legs
11-15-2004, 04:29 PM
Me ... want one... nooooo! I was just curious. I love preformance products. Even if I could get identical preformance at identical costs and almost everything else being the same I would still take the sportbike engine simply because I like working with this kind of stuff a little more. If I was buying a bike to ride however...

Cheers

rjwoods77
11-15-2004, 04:30 PM
Our snowmobile team uses a turbo honda silverwing motor. 590cc parallel twin. The sled ulmost pulls wheelies with it. Small compared to a cbr. Polaris has parallel twin in their 600 sportsman. Good motor.

Patrick W. Crane
11-15-2004, 09:22 PM
I thought those where two stroke?

rjwoods77
11-15-2004, 10:18 PM
They are both 4 strokes. The silverwing and the bergman 650 are both top dog scooters with water cooled 4 stroke parallel twins.