PDA

View Full Version : Wheels

Austin B
05-29-2008, 01:58 PM
I have been searching online for hours trying to find possible 13"X7" wheels for our car next year. The only reasonable ones I have found are from Falcon but they are pretty expensive. Can any of you give me any insight on where to find said wheels, preferably with center-locking lugs.

Austin B
05-29-2008, 01:58 PM
I have been searching online for hours trying to find possible 13"X7" wheels for our car next year. The only reasonable ones I have found are from Falcon but they are pretty expensive. Can any of you give me any insight on where to find said wheels, preferably with center-locking lugs.

BrendonD
05-29-2008, 02:28 PM
I know Kaiser makes 13" x 7" wheel rims in any offset you want. Then you could just CNC your own wheel centers to mate to your spindles.

Brendon

Chris Lane
05-29-2008, 04:04 PM
We're using Jongbloed Racing Wheels in California. Really cool looking wheels, and really good service. A bit more expensive, but worth it in my opinion. They'll make whatever you need.

Keizers look like spew and reportedly flex like hell.

Pennyman
05-29-2008, 04:10 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris Lane:
We're using Jongbloed Racing Wheels in California. Really cool looking wheels, and really good service. A bit more expensive, but worth it in my opinion. They'll make whatever you need.

Keizers look like spew and reportedly flex like hell. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We will be going with Jongbloed wheels too. Pretty close to SJSU as well, being in Morgan Hill.

Austin B
06-17-2008, 04:12 PM
So a few questions about the Jongbloed wheels, does anyone know how expensive they are and how much they weigh (approximately)? Thanks for the replies so far!

Chris Lane
06-17-2008, 04:47 PM
The lightest they can make them is 7 pounds each.

Contact them directly for a quote; they're really nice and reply to emails very fast. I'm really impressed with JongBloed so far!

Dennis Seichter
06-17-2008, 04:53 PM
We are running OZ Superleggera 13x7 wheels, they are also quite lightweight.. approximately 3 kg each

Wesley
06-17-2008, 11:45 PM
Our Keizers are about as stiff as a boboli pizza crust, so I'd recommend something else. They flex a lot.

Dave K
06-18-2008, 05:15 PM
We went with the Jongbloed setup last year, about 7 pounds per piece. The service is great, and they are fast with replies. Very high quality wheels, we will probably use them again this year.

Brett Neale
06-18-2008, 07:08 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wesley:
Our Keizers are about as stiff as a boboli pizza crust, so I'd recommend something else. They flex a lot. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Agreed. Not to mention the insane amount of runout we found on our rims.

Michael Palaszynski
06-18-2008, 08:11 PM
We've been running BBS center locking for the past two years, great rims. But cost an arm and a leg. Next year we're making the switch back to a 4-lug. If no one minds to comment, how are the Jongbloed prices in comparison to BBS?

FryGuy
06-19-2008, 06:42 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brett Neale:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wesley:
Our Keizers are about as stiff as a boboli pizza crust, so I'd recommend something else. They flex a lot. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Agreed. Not to mention the insane amount of runout we found on our rims. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll second both of these. Very light though.

exFSAE
06-19-2008, 07:55 AM
Boboli pizza crust.. awesome. I havent dealt with Keizer since 2005, but at that time we had to remachine all the centers as they came out of spec out of the box.

Be sure to get rim CAD or dimensions before you buy... I've heard stories of Kodiak changing their profile one year to the next.. and of some ridiculous pressures to seat tires.

flavorPacket
06-19-2008, 08:28 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FryGuy:
I'll second both of these. Very light though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Indeed. We saw 55 thou of deflection radially, but we lost 1.2 lb per corner.

Dave K
06-19-2008, 07:57 PM
If i remember right, the Jongbloed wheels were about $30-40 less per wheel than BBS.

Brian Schien
06-19-2008, 10:01 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by exFSAE:

Be sure to get rim CAD or dimensions before you buy... I've heard stories of Kodiak changing their profile one year to the next.. and of some ridiculous pressures to seat tires. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We bought Kodaks this year I called and talked to Darrel in September and asked him what the standard dimensions for there 13 inch wheels he gave them to me and I designed to the specs. We order them in February got them with in 5 weeks so I was pretty happy with that. When I un packed them to inspect them the quality was horrible as far as finish goes very scathed and gauld from the spinning and the polishing wasn't very good. Secondly one of the wheels said custom bore why would it say that when I called and asked what the standard size was. When you order them you have a build sheet to specify every dimension I order with what he said was standard. I am still very confused about this. The biggest problem is the wheels are not made right when you mount them they do not really seat like any other wheel there is no pop when it seats they just kind of fill up with air a day later they are flat because the beads leek. Hoosier put some bead sealer on one of them for me at competition because it would go flat in about an hour. Buy the time we got home form Detroit the wheel was flat in the trailer and the bead was broken just from riding home. I would say stay away from Kodiaks my experience has been that they are junk. We built a complacence rig that works with our bluco table I will have some data on them soon and then I can prove that they are junk.

rjwoods77
06-20-2008, 05:49 AM
Brian,

Would you car to show your compliance rig. I think it would eb a good think if this site came up with a standard wheel coompliance rig such as the chassis torsional stiffness rig that has been more or less agreed upon.

fart can
06-20-2008, 08:32 AM
it took kodiak 1/2 year to get us our tires. nothing special about them. never buying from them again.

RacingManiac
06-20-2008, 03:44 PM
We've been using Kodiaks since 2003, the weight and build quality seems to be getting worse, and so is the wait time and cost....so I would not recommand Kodiaks now....

Note that they used to offer FSAE discount, but they stopped since 2006...

Chris Lane
06-20-2008, 06:43 PM
Looks like JongBloed is about to get a lot more business...

Rightly so too, they're damn hot