PDA

View Full Version : dyno test!

aious
02-29-2008, 10:19 PM
please some one can explain the dyno test results and how to perform that test .
so please do thi s as early as possible

aious
02-29-2008, 10:19 PM
please some one can explain the dyno test results and how to perform that test .
so please do thi s as early as possible

A Richards
03-01-2008, 02:27 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by aious:
so please do thi s as early as possible </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Come again??

fade
03-01-2008, 02:38 AM
demanding are'nt they http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

PatClarke
03-01-2008, 05:32 AM
Aious,
'dyno' is short for dynamometer.
A dyno is a machine that measures the power and torque output of an engine (actually, only measures torque and calculates power).

So, off you go and research 'dynos' (Google is a great help here) and all will be revealed.

Pat

t21jj
03-01-2008, 06:16 AM
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c142/tviper2005/picard.jpg

You were obviously able to find this site, so go back to Google and do some research on your own. Demanding an answer without doing your own research will not get you very far on this site.

aious
03-02-2008, 04:39 AM
i have searched every where as not having machine in campus premises so need to ire.
so asking some imp. points to take care of .

thanx
plz dont take otherwise.

A Richards
03-02-2008, 05:31 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by aious:
i have searched every where as not having machine in campus premises so need to ire.

thanx
plz dont take otherwise. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well i suggest that you try a little bit harder. It's basic, repeat basic, physics. A dyno is simply a device that can measure touque and angular velocity and from that us engineers can determine power. I really cant understand the confusion.

Davidimurray
03-02-2008, 05:53 AM
To get you statred try here -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamometer

vreihen
03-02-2008, 11:06 AM

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you do not have a dyno on your campus, you have three options:

1) Find someone who has a dyno, and they can perform the tests for you and answer all of your questions.

2) Buy a dyno for your campus, and read the owner's manual.

3) Build your own dyno, and learn about how they work in the process.

A quick web search for "DIY dyno" turns up more than enough examples of how to make one, along with the theory of operation and formulas for calculating the results. This company ( http://www.dyno46.com/diydyno.html ) came up in my search, and may be of interest to you because they are on your side of the world and sell a kit containing all of the electronics and software to build a basic dyno if you can make the inertial flywheel/roller yourself.

More complex dynos compensate for air temperature, humidity, barometric pressure, and other factors that will impact accuracy. I am sure that a thesis or two have been written on this subject.

A dyno is just as common as a spark plug wrench in any race engine building shop, so your team should probably buy/build one if you intend to do well in competition.....

PatClarke
03-02-2008, 02:49 PM
Vreihen,
the problem is that there are no race shops in India! Maybe not too many spark plug wrenches either.
In my response to Aious'other post, a first year team from India will have difficulty just getting to any FSAE/FS competition, so I advised they don't worry about power and torque initially, just tune the engine to be driveable.

If they head off to build a dyno they will maybe ready for the 2010 competition year.

Aious,
an inertia dyno is symply a big flywheel and some instrumentation. Remember, torque X RPM is power, so all you need to do is to measure the change in angular velocity of a known mass flywheel, as A. Richards has pointed out, it is basic physics.

You may think that the forum members are being unhelpful and dismissive. What is happening here is you are asking for information that you should be very familiar with from your studies.

FSAE isn't an easy project. It is not about a bunch of students goofing off and building a racecar, it is about managing a complete project that will result in an improvement in your education. Thats part of the challenge.

When (if) you get to a competition the Judges will question you about the reasoning behind your design decisions. They can see what you have done, they want to know the reason WHY you did it, and answering "Someone on the FSAE.com forum told me" will get you ZERO points.

Pat

vreihen
03-02-2008, 05:46 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PatClarke:

the problem is that there are no race shops in India! Maybe not too many spark plug wrenches either. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pat,

Just because I live in the US, do not assume that I am ignorant to life beyond our borders. http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I have visited 14 countries in the past 6 years, and some of them were so poor that they did not even have race tracks! http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif Most have modern cricket stadiums, though.

I assumed that based upon their questions, they had never seen a dyno. Since Aious seemed desperate for an answer, I explained his options to obtain a dyno. Just because they might not be able to buy a dyno today does not mean that they should not put one on the list of things that a future team will need to obtain in order to be more competitive.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PatClarke:

In my response to Aious' other post, a first year team from India will have difficulty just getting to any FSAE/FS competition, so I advised they don't worry about power and torque initially, just tune the engine to be driveable. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think that this is excellent advice! Whether they listen to you or not is another story.....

Michael Hart
03-02-2008, 07:18 PM
for what its worth, if you don't have access to dyno, I would strongly suggest putting a ton of sensors on your car and getting a decent data logging system. Like others have said, a dyno is basically just a big sensor for reading torque output. Having those numbers is very useful, but (in my opinion) the real beauty of a dyno is the fact that you can run a motor in a lab environment, where you can measure temperatures, fuel and air flows, pressures, etc etc etc - if you don't have that, then you need to bring the lab environment to the engine by hooking a bunch of sensors up to your car. Search around online and on this site and figure out what information will be most important to know to understand how the engine is running, then get sensors that will tell you that.

Good luck and I hope that helps

screwdriver
03-03-2008, 03:09 PM
Michael, slapping sensors sensors onto the car is easier said than done in a country where you can't even get your hands on a dyno.

What would interest me is to have a complete statement from the members of aious about their situation. I mean, the situation might be a lot worse than we can imagine, ie they might be working on virtually no budget without any support from sponsors, can't afford the internet connection and can't buy the books. If that's true, it would explain the obvious lack of knowledge that all the team members from India, who posted on the forum, displayed.

I won't say that they aren't trying hard enough, unless they state themselves, that the their situation isn't as I've guessed.

Diablo_niterider
03-04-2008, 04:11 AM
its definately bad in india but not as bad as u migth think, aious belongs to new delhi which has a good fsae allumni which can answer all his questions besides there are other indian teams who have already gone through this stage whom he can ask , my team has personally helped 2-3 budding fsae indian teams in terms of books and queries and others are always welcome .

i personally think aious is being lazy cause we have enough books in any engineering college library for I.C.Engines as it is definately a subject for the guys studying mechanical engg.

Hiren Patel
Powertrain Head 06-07,07-08
www.orion-racing.com (http://www.orion-racing.com)

Diablo_niterider
03-04-2008, 04:13 AM
and u can call 9820399224 anytime u have a relevant doubt

Steve O
03-04-2008, 04:01 PM
I would say that a lack of equipment is one thing, but I wouldn't sell them short for their education. Remember that most non US schools are significantly better than US schools because they take it much more seriously...especially in a lower income country where it is more of a privilege than a "right." I actually just had this conversation with an Indian professor at my university today. Most the students at their universities are brilliant and can calculate whatever you need on paper in half a second without even flinching to pick up a calculator, but you put them in from of a scope and a fx gen. and they don't know what to do because they don't have that equipment to work with. To say that the country has a crappy education system because this one guy wants everything answered for him without thought is just jumping to conclusions and silly.

Finally, if $100-200 in sensors is going to break their bank than I'm not so sure they can build a $20,000 car. I think that the fact that the country doesn't have a dyno is irrelevant and does not reflect on the funding of the team at all...remember that this country doesn't have many cars and certainly no race tracks and therefore has no need for a dyno...it would be stupid to run a tuning business in a country with no cars.

On another note the guy doesn't speak english well so lay off... he's not demanding an answer, just inquiring, it just comes off that way because of his poor grammer. More and more I see that everyone here is all of the sudden an expert of these cars and has become too good for these "petty" questions and are quick to yell at people when they inquire about a perfectly reasonable thing. Sure I could look it up on google but why not consult a group of engineers who I can trust have worked with the equipment. It's one thing to get mad when someone asks you for something trivial or for the answer to their problem. Its a completely different thing when someone asks for general info or input/suggestions to a problem they have. Why are the only topics taken seriously on this forum the ones where people bullshit and pretend that they are experts on suspension or posts on sharing solid models. We were all new once and I know that when I was new to our team I was dumbfounded by what went into these cars, and I could not imagine not having knowledgeable people at our shop to teach the underclassmen the ropes. Why are people too good for this task for the new teams that don't have that resource? Suck it up, you are a student still, not a 20 year ready to retire automotive engineer, and I guarantee your car isn't perfect. If you don't have a good solution to someones problem you can choose not to answer instead of being a jerkoff. If the solution is already on the forum then by all means reply to them.. "search the forum, it's already here!"

Alright, maybe I'll pay attention in class now!

Steve