PDA

View Full Version : Hand Clutch

davethemenace
12-20-2012, 12:51 PM
We are planning to have a cable operated hand clutch and paddle shifters attached to the steering wheel.
The wires will have a clip on design so that they can be easily detached from the wheel.
We are planning to have an easy to remove system for removing the clutch cable that involves a screw on system.
Is this allowed while checking all templates for cockpit?

Owen Thomas
12-20-2012, 12:57 PM
T4.1.2: During this test, the steering wheel, steering column, seat and all padding may be removed. The shifter or shift mechanism may not be removed unless it is integral with the steering wheel and is removed with the steering wheel. The firewall may not be moved or removed.

This is with regards to the cockpit template test. The italicized text was added for the 2013 rules, and is coincidentally the information you are looking for.

davethemenace
12-20-2012, 01:05 PM
^The Shifter mechanism is attached to the steering wheel. It comes off with it.

But my concern is with the clutch cable. Is a simple screw on mechanism considered detachable and will it still follow template regulations?

Owen Thomas
12-20-2012, 01:16 PM
It is implied that nothing else may be removed. This includes a hand clutch.

We had the setup you are describing last year, so I can give you a little bit of insight; look closely at the rules and how the test is applied. I was a little worried, but the tech inspectors at Lincoln did not even give it a second look. Generally, if it does not appear to hinder driver egress and even barely passes the rules, you will not have a problem. The same can be said that if it barely passes and does need to be removed for egress (or makes it difficult), you will probably have some trouble.

AxelRipper
12-20-2012, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by Owen Thomas:
It is implied that nothing else may be removed. This includes a hand clutch.

We had the setup you are describing last year, so I can give you a little bit of insight; look closely at the rules and how the test is applied. I was a little worried, but the tech inspectors at Lincoln did not even give it a second look. Generally, if it does not appear to hinder driver egress and even barely passes the rules, you will not have a problem. The same can be said that if it barely passes and does need to be removed for egress (or makes it difficult), you will probably have some trouble.

BUT: (word of caution) We've also run into issues with the steering column on our 2010 car, which barely touched the template (before the rule was written that the template has to go in perfectly vertical, mind you) and they didn't want to let us through. This was MI 2010 with a car that had remained nearly unchanged since passing in Cali 2009. All this occuring while other teams were having said template slid fore and aft throughout their very tiny cockpit opening.

Always expect the worst and have a backup option if you think something is going to be close. Chances are you'll get away with it, but you never know.