PDA

View Full Version : Taylor Race tripod inserts - tolerances

Alastair Clarke
05-14-2008, 12:07 PM
Hi guys,

I'm finally having to sit down and do a "proper" drawing for making our rear hubs. They include the outboard female tripod housing, and are made in ally using the Taylor Race steel tripod linings. Now, has anyone done something similar - what tolerances did you spec to fit the linings. I've heard that they're meant to be a press fit into the housings, but how much of a press fit?

Failing that, the other idea I had was to make them a sliding fit and use a high strength retainer like Loctite 638?

Any ideas/suggestions etc?

Cheers

Alastair

Alastair Clarke
05-14-2008, 12:07 PM
Hi guys,

I'm finally having to sit down and do a "proper" drawing for making our rear hubs. They include the outboard female tripod housing, and are made in ally using the Taylor Race steel tripod linings. Now, has anyone done something similar - what tolerances did you spec to fit the linings. I've heard that they're meant to be a press fit into the housings, but how much of a press fit?

Failing that, the other idea I had was to make them a sliding fit and use a high strength retainer like Loctite 638?

Any ideas/suggestions etc?

Cheers

Alastair

Scotty
05-19-2008, 12:16 PM
Alastair,

Shoot me an e-mail,,

scotty@taylor-race.com

I do not have any drawings..but I can send you some pics...and I can take Measurements for ya.

Scotty

Thrainer
09-03-2008, 10:51 AM
I advise you against having a press fit between the tripod rollers and the housing, if that is what you were asking.

Drew Price
09-03-2008, 11:48 AM
You could have some sort of safety retaining lip along the edge of the housing that you fold over onto the top of the linings to keep them from coming out. I've seen big circlips all along the outer edge of a CV housing to keep the balls from coming all the way out of the races on some ATV joints our Baja team bought last year, that could work too, but it's more parts. Probably easier service though, if you discover you have to replace them.

If you press them in you will have to see what it does to the shape of the race where the roller has to travel, and you will probably want a way too get them back out, like a hole through the back to insert a punch or something.

Best,
Drew