PDA

View Full Version : DIrect Mount wheels

Jon_Dal
01-30-2006, 01:58 PM
Does anyone know how exactly Direct Mount hubs work. I'm look at the Timken bearing hub setup for a 10" Keizer wheel. The drawings provided are somewhat ambigiuous. I'm assuming it's a double row of bearings press fitted into the hub? Is the hub free to rotate? Any suggestions/words of warning? Thanks

Blake_DFSAE
02-01-2006, 10:35 AM
no dice jonny

Jon_Dal
02-02-2006, 02:36 PM
Thanks Blake.....

Wright D
02-02-2006, 11:14 PM
The Direct mount wheels have the hub integrated into the wheel center. The hub has a pair of tapered/conical roller bearings, a shaft seal in the inside, and a grease cup on the out side. You can get the spindle dimensions form Keizer. Assuming that you manufacture the spindle to specs the whole assembly should hold up just fine, and take a lot more abuse then an fsae car can throw at it, even if you love to hit cones.

The direct mount wheel was designed for mini sprints/lighting sprints (600cc-1200cc sport bike powered dirt circle track cars). The only draw back is that the wheel and center were not designed to accommodate front brakes, as mini/lighting sprints do not have them. So; you would be faced with the challenge of figuring out how to attach a brake rotor to the wheel shell and center assembly.

Think creatively.

Oh, and you have to take the hub off of the spindle every time you want to change tries.

Kwheels
02-04-2006, 01:28 PM
Dustin is correct. The centers will put up with allot of abuse. We are working on getting some decent Cad data for the hub at this time. Our current DM hub offers a 5 lug pattern to fasten your brake rotor to your hub. I can try to help work through this with some contact information for the rotors that are currently being produced to bolt to our hub. www.rider-inc.com (http://www.rider-inc.com) or conceptchassis.com Give me a call if you need anything . Wade 712-737-303. Keizer Racing wheels.

drivetrainUW-Platt
02-04-2006, 09:56 PM
the 5 threaded holes in the centers we got with the integrated bearing races were scarry small, and not very deep since the center tapers thin on the back side of the hole. I would never run a brake disk using those holes, also the splined rears seem to be a pain to get parts for from Keizer, maybe they should specialize some "FSAE" rims that acutally can be easily be integrated in fsae, not just sell minisprint wheels as fsae. Seems that everone that runs them makes there own centers due to deflection and mounting issues....hint hint keizer....

Jon_Dal
02-05-2006, 07:23 AM
Thanks for the info. I'm still a little unclear as to where these holes are for mounting a brake disc. If you look at the solid model of 10x6 with DM on the keizer site the only mounting holes are the ones on the spokes of the center...and that seems like a bad idea. Is it possible to drill holes in the inside flange?

As far as having to take the hub off everytime you want to change tires I was under the impression that you could just leave the centre attached and take the shell off (4 bolts I think)? Thanks for the help.

drivetrainUW-Platt
02-05-2006, 10:55 AM
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b309/duwem/keizerwheel10withraces.jpg

Jon_Dal
02-05-2006, 11:19 AM
Thanks