PDA

View Full Version : Special paddle shifter system

N Dheeraj Chowdary
01-16-2013, 07:14 AM
Hi, we are planning to implement a pneumatic paddle shifter mechanism with a single plate instead of separate paddles. Further, we are to use a mechanical clutch system. We have decided to do away with a clutch pedal at any cost, so it has to be integrated somehow with the paddles.

The creation of a smaller clutch paddle is out of the question as we want large paddles. Now, our drivers are good at downshifts achieved by blipping even with the clutch engaged.

So the system I want to go with is as follows:

-The clutch cable is connected to the upshift paddle mechanically and when pulled, the upshift paddle disengages the clutch completely before sending an upshift signal. Now, this might create differences in the forces required to upshift vs downshift as the upshift pulls the clutch while the downshift doesn't. Is that easy to get used to? Further, is launch control a big deal? Can you advise on how the upshift paddle can be used as a clutch paddle during launch and prevent accidental upshift? Since the drivers will know the clutch biting point from practice, I don't think it would be a problem. Please advise.

An alternative system would allow both clutched upshifts and clutched downshifts by allowing a translation motion of the paddle assembly that pulls the clutch cable, followed by a rotary motion that changes gears once the clutch has completely been pulled.

Please share your thoughts on this idea. I would appreciate it if you could go into problems with the rules if any, such as: If this assembly prevents the steering wheel from being removed during the template resting, would it be a problem?

Thank you.

Racer-X
01-16-2013, 07:29 AM
That sounds like a mess to me. On the bike engines you don't need the clutch once you're moving. Most drivers pick up the rev matching pretty quick.

So why not put the clutch somewhere else? Maybe mount it is a stand alone where a traditional shifter goes? That is if you guys are dead set about using paddles...

N Dheeraj Chowdary
01-16-2013, 07:39 AM
Our ECU is incapable of ignition cuts for upshifts. This is basically to tackle that.

(CBR250 single)

jlangholzj
01-16-2013, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by N Dheeraj Chowdary:
Our ECU is incapable of ignition cuts for upshifts. This is basically to tackle that.

(CBR250 single)

you still can rev-match and don't need to ign cut. my circuit for that last year...ahh..errhmm....didn't stay happy happy happy, all it takes is getting off throttle on the up-shifts and giving it an extra blip on the downshifts

Jay Lawrence
01-16-2013, 07:06 PM
I still don't understand how teams can justify paddle shifting when a normal manual sequential will do the job just as well (and with less hassle). But anyway.... it would be a bad idea to have a system that prevents you from removing the steering wheel in any situation.

Something you might want to consider if you're truly worried about clutch actuation is having an electric actuator on the clutch that is in time with the shifter mechanism. This can work quite well (and you only need it on down shifts).

You were saying that you can't do ign. cuts. This means that your drivers have to lift off when using your paddles, which to me seems to destroy one of the key ideas behind paddle shifting (full throttle up-shifts). Besides, you shouldn't be trying to tackle your ignition cut problem for upshifts by using some kind of clutch device anyway (as mentioned above, clutch is not needed for upshifts).

Racer-X
01-18-2013, 08:09 AM
Why would ignition cut be an issue? It only makes clutch-less up shifts "easier", which are the easier of the two as it is.

I'm with Jay on this one. If you aren't going to go all out and do a electric/pneumatic paddle shift I don't really see the benefits of having the paddles there in the first place.

N Dheeraj Chowdary
01-18-2013, 08:26 AM
Thank you, Jay. The problem with an electric clutch actuator is that we want to use as little battery power as possible, because we want to keep the battery small and light. Anyway, I've found a way to introduce ignition cuts. http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Thank you Racer-X. The idea behind the paddles was to keep hands on the wheel for longer. That advantage was still there. Anyway, thank you. My questions have been answered.