PDA

View Full Version : Auto-X Rain Guidlines

JPaolicchi
05-10-2005, 07:41 PM
Hi,
I am posting this message to help indicate how the auto-x event could be conducted if rain occurs. In general, due to limited time, if it rains, the second heat will be cancelled. If the event is delayed due to rain, we will try and somehow get all of the teams at least two runs. Usually, we can arrange to extend the event past 5PM if this occurs. Please note that if the event gets extended past 5PM the event can close at any time. Normally, we will extend the event until all of the available cars get one chance. After 5PM, if there are no more cars in line to run first drivers, we will close the event. This may be extended for a few minutes, but do not count on it. If we only get very light rain, we would try to continue racing with rain tires and with luck, and a short extension, perhaps we could get two heats in. Please note that the SCCA and I will decide when rain tires are requiered. Normally, it will be due to standing water. Please note that we have to consider the safety of the course workers as well as the drivers. Due to a large amount of amature drivers, we will error on the safe side. Last year, we had very heavy rain, but is was warm (70deg), so once the rain stopped the track was up and running within 45min using rain tires. So, as I guide, if it is raining hard, the visibility will be too low and large amounts of standing water will not allow the track to open. Once the rain slows to a light drizzle or stops, cars should start getting in line so that they are ready to run in 30 min with rain tires. Please have your cars ready once it stops raining. The faster we can run the event, the more likely we will be able to get a run for every team and be able to get an offical score.

Joe Auto-X event captain

JPaolicchi
05-10-2005, 07:41 PM
Hi,
I am posting this message to help indicate how the auto-x event could be conducted if rain occurs. In general, due to limited time, if it rains, the second heat will be cancelled. If the event is delayed due to rain, we will try and somehow get all of the teams at least two runs. Usually, we can arrange to extend the event past 5PM if this occurs. Please note that if the event gets extended past 5PM the event can close at any time. Normally, we will extend the event until all of the available cars get one chance. After 5PM, if there are no more cars in line to run first drivers, we will close the event. This may be extended for a few minutes, but do not count on it. If we only get very light rain, we would try to continue racing with rain tires and with luck, and a short extension, perhaps we could get two heats in. Please note that the SCCA and I will decide when rain tires are requiered. Normally, it will be due to standing water. Please note that we have to consider the safety of the course workers as well as the drivers. Due to a large amount of amature drivers, we will error on the safe side. Last year, we had very heavy rain, but is was warm (70deg), so once the rain stopped the track was up and running within 45min using rain tires. So, as I guide, if it is raining hard, the visibility will be too low and large amounts of standing water will not allow the track to open. Once the rain slows to a light drizzle or stops, cars should start getting in line so that they are ready to run in 30 min with rain tires. Please have your cars ready once it stops raining. The faster we can run the event, the more likely we will be able to get a run for every team and be able to get an offical score.

Joe Auto-X event captain

JPaolicchi
05-10-2005, 07:55 PM
More....

As a general rule, it takes about 1 minute for a car to make its two runs. So, if we had a rain delay and its 5:30PM and you see 20 cars in line, the event will close around 5:50PM.

This rule will also be used to determine when to cancel the event. At around 7:30PM it gets too dark to run, if at 6PM we still have 100 cars in line and its raining, there is no way to compete the event, and it will most likely be cancelled.

If there are only 10 cars that have not made a single run, and its 6PM with a light drizzel, we could reopen the track and give those cars a chance. So don't go home or sit back in the pits!

Joe