PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Rail Manufacturing

Anmol
03-07-2006, 09:05 AM
Hey guys
Can anyone tell me how u guys produce the fuel rails for ur vehicles. I mean, wat raw material u use and how the machining is done on it. I want a material that can prevent fuel leakage when holes for fuel injectors are done as well as a rail that can work under a pressure of abt 90 psi.
Replies to this at the earliest r most welcome.

Jersey Tom
03-07-2006, 09:17 AM
This is getting ridiculous.

KU_Racing
03-07-2006, 10:37 AM
http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=P...10&Category_Code=FUL (http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=ATP-FUL-010&Category_Code=FUL)
^^ extruded fuel rail link

on another note.. spark plug holes in your fuel rail?? What??

you are right Tom.. I like to help, but this is getting annoying.

SpdRcr
03-07-2006, 10:51 AM
wheres that 'America F*ck Yeah' video?......

DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH!!!!!! http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

Erich Ohlde
03-07-2006, 11:08 AM
i prefer string cheese

B Hise
03-07-2006, 01:51 PM
wheres that 'America F*ck Yeah' video

its been posted on these forums before, in a similar thread. Just search...

absolutepressure
03-07-2006, 06:28 PM
Spark plug holes in the fuel rail? The fuel is supposed to explode inside the combustion chamber. Do you mean the holes for the fuel injectors? You don't have to worry about the material causing any leaking, if anything it would be o-ring size that would cause leaks. Or o-ring condition. It depends what kind of injectors you're going with, almost all are compression fitted on both sides (I can't think of any that aren't but I didn't want to say all). You will most likely have threads on the fuel lines going into, and out of the fuel rail. Does anyone know if Teflon tape holds up against gas? Cuz that's what I would use on the threads to prevent leaking.

<addition>
Oh, acutally, wait, my car uses brass washers on the fuel lines. They don't leak at all if you tighten them right.

drivetrainUW-Platt
03-08-2006, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by jayhawk_electrical:
i prefer string cheese

now when you chuck this up in the lathe, do you have to consider centripital forces deflecting the cheeze and causing it to transform into a grated cheeze consistancy? I looked up string cheeze in the materials list on Solidworks and was not able to find it, is there a more technical name I should be searching for....very confuzed at this point!

Erich Ohlde
03-08-2006, 09:39 AM
we prefer injection molding. suprised you don' have this in the materials list. it has a higher stiffness than grade 5 Ti!

KU_Racing
03-08-2006, 10:12 AM
dude... everyone knows that billet meunster is waaaay better than that extruded mozzarella crap.

Jersey Tom
03-08-2006, 11:17 AM
Anyone ever try quench and tempered strip steak? Quench in teriyaki sauce, temper at 350F.

It sounds like a good idea.

kwancho
03-08-2006, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by drivetrainUW-Platt:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jayhawk_electrical:
i prefer string cheese

now when you chuck this up in the lathe, do you have to consider centripital forces deflecting the cheeze and causing it to transform into a grated cheeze consistancy? I looked up string cheeze in the materials list on Solidworks and was not able to find it, is there a more technical name I should be searching for....very confuzed at this point! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Use a dead center, noob.

Mike Claffey
03-08-2006, 11:23 AM
The first person to email me their cad model and design report gets a sample of my awsome banana nut bread.

Jersey Tom
03-08-2006, 11:29 AM
CAD model? CAD wasnt in our budget this year. We can mail you all our hand drawings though

KU_Racing
03-08-2006, 12:02 PM
you guys have hand drawings?!?
We couldnt afford them. Our whole team only has one pencil, and our team leader is the only one allowed to touch it. He likes to use it to give his eyebrows more 'body'.

Greg H
03-08-2006, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Mike Claffey:
The first person to email me their cad model and design report gets a sample of my awsome banana nut bread.

That's gotta be some pretty good bread. I've spent so much time on my models that I'm going to delete them so my freeloading team can't just cruise next year. Get to work now you bums!