PDA

View Full Version : What did everyone do about their PCV?

ReadySetGo
04-13-2004, 08:44 AM
Just wondering what everyone did with their smog equipment on their motors? We capped off the pcv on the top of the valve covers and only had the crankcase breather open.

We found that our oil seemed a bit mucky from not having enough ventilation, so we are thinking its due to only having the crankcase breather on.

I'm thinking about T'ing the crankcase breather to one of the spots from the valve cover. Does this sound right? I know its probably not a super big deal, but im just wondering what other schools are doing.

ReadySetGo
04-13-2004, 08:44 AM
Just wondering what everyone did with their smog equipment on their motors? We capped off the pcv on the top of the valve covers and only had the crankcase breather open.

We found that our oil seemed a bit mucky from not having enough ventilation, so we are thinking its due to only having the crankcase breather on.

I'm thinking about T'ing the crankcase breather to one of the spots from the valve cover. Does this sound right? I know its probably not a super big deal, but im just wondering what other schools are doing.

Charlie
04-13-2004, 09:07 AM
What engine are you running?

Kirk Feldkamp
04-13-2004, 09:15 AM
On the GSXR the stuff on the valve cover is not a PCV, they call it a PAIR valve. The holes that feed the PAIR valve actually go down into the exhaust ports. We just put a tube between the two covers for the time being. I think you could just cap them too.

A traditional PCV setup would take the crankcase vent and stick it back into the intake. Although I don't see how oil could EVER flow out of the breather box on the GSXR (LOTS of internal baffling to prevent this), you probably should just vent it to the atmosphere. I think the rules may require you to have a tube off the breather hole go into a catch can.

BTW... Omar, are you guys down to go to Atwater this weekend for a little Solo2 action? I think it's the only semi-local event this weekend.

-Kirk
UC Berkeley