PDA

View Full Version : doubts on bias bar

rebelayush
12-27-2007, 02:05 AM
we are using a bias bar for the first time in our brake system.We have not been able to decide which one to use
whats the difference between the two types mentioned in this link??
http://tiltonbrake.com/content.php?page=list2&id=42&m=b

suggest one
thnx

rebelayush
12-27-2007, 02:05 AM
we are using a bias bar for the first time in our brake system.We have not been able to decide which one to use
whats the difference between the two types mentioned in this link??
http://tiltonbrake.com/content.php?page=list2&id=42&m=b

suggest one
thnx

Steve O
12-27-2007, 04:45 AM
Well, it's pretty simple really... they are asking if you have a rear pivoting master cylinder setup or not. If you don't know what this is, for the future you should do a quick google search before trying to get an answer in a forum for something simple like this... it normally takes too long (lucky for you I am up at odd hours and am replying quickly!).

The idea of rear pivoting cylinders is to keep the angle of your pedal and your cylinder more ideal to increase braking power. With a vehicle weighing what an FSAE car weighs, I don't think you need a rear pivoting master cylinder. Either one you have, it is VERY important to have the correct bias bar for it. If you have a rear pivoting master cylinder, and you don't have a bias bar meant for that, your bias will change as you brake harder and your master cylinders physically move into a new position relative to static pedal position changing the pedal assembly's geometry.

rebelayush
12-27-2007, 11:54 AM
got it http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

whats the criteria for selecting the diameter of the bias bar pivot sleeve(for a fixed type mc setup). does having a different dia or a larger shaft length affect the performance in any way?
what do you guys use?

thanks man

rebelayush
12-27-2007, 11:57 AM
which is a reliable brand
i have heard of AP racing ,tilton,brembo and all
any experience with any of them?

The AFX Master
12-27-2007, 12:54 PM
bias bar did made the 90% of the forum discussion in the last month...lame

Steve O
01-03-2008, 01:45 AM
I think all the brands will work for you. I will make no claims to be an expert on the braking systems but I believe your length is going to be a factor of how long of a bias bar you need to be able to adjust the bias enough and reach between the two master cylinders. Diameter of the bias bar is probably a factor of hardware compatibility and expected braking pedal system forces. Anyone please feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Steve

Steve Yao
01-03-2008, 04:35 PM
Bias bar diameter itself does not affect outright braking capability of the car, but it should be sized in accordance with how you intend to load it and how much compliance you are willing to accept. Compliance does come into play as you assess what pedal "feel" you want.

Both load and compliance depend on multiple variables.
Load:
Pedal ratio, Rotor dia, pad size, caliper piston dia, master cylinder dia, driver input, etc.

Compliance:
Rotor deflection, pad compressibility, brake line expansion, pedal assembly deflection, loads, etc.

Work all these out and the car will tell you what you need to buy. Or you can just assume that these things are built for much larger cars then ours and take the smallest one available.

Note: There is an order of magnitude difference in price of a standard vs. rear-pivot balance bar(not to mention the master cylinder prices themselves). So your budget should come into play on this as well.

Brands: All those companies are reputable, recommended. Tilton will likely give you the best deal: parts at wholesale cost directly from Tilton.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rebelayush:
got it http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

whats the criteria for selecting the diameter of the bias bar pivot sleeve(for a fixed type mc setup). does having a different dia or a larger shaft length affect the performance in any way?
what do you guys use?

thanks man </div></BLOCKQUOTE>