PDA

View Full Version : Ricardo WAVE Software - free to FSAE teams

dzaykim
10-08-2007, 08:16 AM
I'm actually interning with Ricardo Support, and I'm somewhat responsible for dealing with Universities.

There's another post from awhile back about this, but I just wanted to re-iterate that Ricardo offers its software free to FSAE teams.

From what I've seen so far, it's a little tricky to get installed, but the software itself is extremely powerful.

I can blabber on and on about why its better than GT, but its a 30,000 dollar piece of software that major OEM's are willing to purchase (in bulk I might add) and it's free to FSAE teams.

RS_Support@ricardo.com

dzaykim
10-08-2007, 08:16 AM
or you could just email me at
daniel.kim@ricardo.com

Slim_shady
10-08-2007, 08:52 AM
plz could u also mail me at shadymax23@gmail.com.
thanks in advance. http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

MrSwa
10-08-2007, 09:12 AM
How do we go about getting said software? Do we just ask for it, is there some form to fill out, etc. Please let me know.
nick.gilkey@gmail.com

dzaykim
10-09-2007, 06:46 AM
Wow, there seems to be a lot of interest out there regarding this topic.

Let me post some general info so I can actually get some work done. http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

As mentioned above, Ricardo provides the use of WAVE for FSAE teams at no cost, and includes 10 hours of technical support.

We provide use of 5 licenses for FSAE. There is no provision for traveling licenses that can be "checked out" (i.e. laptops taken home for the evening) or for multiple servers.

Here's the important part,
We require one technical contact to deliver all technical support communications to Ricardo and one installation contact to liaison with Ricardo during installation and for administration of the software.

In summary, it would help a ton, if everyone could have 2 email addresses, one for the administrative license/installation contact and another of the FSAE faculty advisor, included in any emails you send our way.

You aren't students for very long, and it doesn't make much sense to have all of you entered into our database.

Daniel

rjwoods77
10-09-2007, 07:53 AM
Will Vectis be made available so we can do 1d/3d coupled analysis?

dzaykim
10-09-2007, 08:54 AM
VECTIS is also available.

Same rules apply as indicated in my previous post.

dzaykim
10-10-2007, 07:11 AM
I know that GT charges 100 dollars for their software to FSAE teams... but does anyone happen to know what they charge for GT power for research or teaching purposes?

Horace
10-10-2007, 07:38 PM
Hi,

Please add me too!

hlai02@students.poly.edu

Thanks!

Horace Lai
Polytechnic University

dzaykim
10-11-2007, 07:19 AM
Thank you all for your interest in WAVE.

I would just like to emphasize that under company policy, we require a facultycontact to deliver all technical support communications to Ricardo.

Michael Palaszynski
10-11-2007, 09:30 PM
hey could you add myself as well?

mikepal@umd.edu

much appriciated, i'll send my facutly advisors email if it's needed.

Garlic
10-11-2007, 09:59 PM
Good lord people. I am amazed at the responses in this thread.

'dzaykim' has been very generous right from the start, basically saying he will help anyone get this software for free, if you just email him a contact address and a faculty email address.

Now, no doubt some people actually followed the instructions.

But are the rest of you so lazy that either 1) you expect him to contact YOU and ask you for the same info AGAIN? or, 2) You don't even bother reading the 8 sentences he posted.

Even after he repeated himself, it's still the same thing!!?? Where was the request to post your email address in this thread? Monkey see monkey do?

Please, start acting like professionals, many of you will be one soon (shudder)

dzaykim
10-12-2007, 07:13 AM
Ahaha,
It's really alright. Students be students.

Anyhow, I just wanted to make an update regarding VECTIS.

After speaking with my supervisor on the issue, we have decided it would be best to just offer WAVE.

Not because we don't want you to use it, just for consistency regarding FSAE.

WAVE currently has 8 pieces of software, and offering all of those would be a support nightmare.

If you have any questions regarding this, please post here, and I'll do my best to answer.

Thanks again for all your interest.

Tinke
10-12-2007, 08:02 AM
Could you give some pros compared to GT-power?

Pete Fodor
10-31-2007, 07:02 AM
Hi

As far as i know GT Power is like $10 for FSAE teams and its not bad.

You can also run it with Fluent or StarCFD if you have enough computing power.

Though some of the features are locked out and you're probably going to have to learn how to use it by yourself using the 400 page tutorial pdf thats provided.

Its pretty good though IMO and the help they provide is top notch as they will can fix your models and will call you if you are having alot of problems

dzaykim
11-01-2007, 07:39 AM
Just a little more info for those who have been asking questions over email.

WAVE is soon releasing v8.0. Yes, it will be available to FSAE teams free of charge.

WAVE runs with Fluent, StarCFD, and Fire.

Thanks again for your continued support of the Ricardo Software Grant Program.

And to Timo, no features in WAVE are locked out for our academic grants.

samphlett
11-01-2007, 07:57 AM
... WAVE runs with Fluent, STAR-CD, FIRE, VECTIS and can easily be coupled to any other CFD code via an open interface.

Pete Fodor
11-01-2007, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by dzaykim:
Just a little more info for those who have been asking questions over email.

WAVE is soon releasing v8.0. Yes, it will be available to FSAE teams free of charge.

WAVE runs with Fluent, StarCFD, and Fire.

Thanks again for your continued support of the Ricardo Software Grant Program.

And to Timo, no features in WAVE are locked out for our academic grants.

Would i be able to design cooling systems, exhaust muffler construction and also would i be able to model injection system dynamics etc?
The cooling system one being the most interesting one I am after. thanks

Michael Hart
11-01-2007, 07:20 PM
We just got our Ricardo WAVE installation up and running, and I've only spent 15 minutes playing with it so far (oh the joys of midterms) but it looks really cool and I can't wait to dig in more. Thanks again Daniel!

dzaykim
11-09-2007, 09:27 AM
We played quite a big of pingpong with that license file.

Glad to hear that it's up and running!

vengeance
07-19-2009, 09:58 AM
if this software is free for fsae teams then how do we get it ? plz tell me.

Mikey Antonakakis
07-19-2009, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by vengeance:
if this software is free for fsae teams then how do we get it ? plz tell me.
Call or email the company, they're really helpful

samphlett
07-20-2009, 01:56 AM
mailto:rs_support@ricardo.com

fatma
11-09-2011, 04:26 AM
Hi,

I am the student of ?stanbul Technical University. We have a FSAE team. I need to use ricardo wave software free , could you please inform how could I get it?

Thanks for your support.
Fatma

Mbirt
11-09-2011, 07:45 AM
The typical answer to a question like yours would be to search. But the result of searching this forum will tell you that you simply should have read the last post in this thread before you posted.

srikanth chilivery
02-06-2012, 07:57 PM
Our team is also getting the software by sponsorship. I am incharge of the installation support. I need some help on the installation. Please help about the installation of this software.