PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft Fabric

jjund
01-06-2011, 10:17 PM
We are planning on using aircraft fabric for part of our bodywork this year. I have been searching through the forums, but have only found references to generic "aircraft fabric." The only specifics I can find are occasional references to Aircraft Spruce, who feature "Dacron fabric."

Does anyone have any more specific info about the type of aircraft fabric that is used by FSAE teams? I know that UT Arlington uses a setup similar to what we are aiming for.

jjund
01-06-2011, 10:17 PM
We are planning on using aircraft fabric for part of our bodywork this year. I have been searching through the forums, but have only found references to generic "aircraft fabric." The only specifics I can find are occasional references to Aircraft Spruce, who feature "Dacron fabric."

Does anyone have any more specific info about the type of aircraft fabric that is used by FSAE teams? I know that UT Arlington uses a setup similar to what we are aiming for.

tougeferio
01-06-2011, 11:13 PM
UT San Antonio used monokote last year. It's actually R/C airplane shrink plastic. It's fairly cheap, light and easy to repair. We had a little trouble bonding it to the frame, but that was nothing a little super glue couldn't fix. You could easly find it at pretty much any R/C Hobby Store.

I do suggest trying some out first, its like heat shrink but if you get the heat source to close it will melt a hole in it quick. Just a suggestion, and Good luck to yall.

BMH
01-07-2011, 07:35 PM
We used the plastic type shrink wrap that tougeferio mentioned in his post on our 08 car. It worked pretty well and was really light as far as the overall body goes. The only bad thing about it is that its hard to do a real streamlined body.

Barky
01-07-2011, 08:30 PM
We used the lightest dacron from aircraft spruce

http: // www. aircraftspruce. com/menus/cs/dacron.html

Weighs basically nothing and only takes an hour or two to put on. Easy to patch up when one of your teammates with...less intellectual prowess tries to do some last minute welding and burns a hole in it.

RollingCamel
01-08-2011, 04:25 AM
May ask why do you want to use aircraft fabric?

Ben K
01-08-2011, 07:29 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RollingCamel:
May ask why do you want to use aircraft fabric? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is much simpler and quicker to apply than building a full cfrp bodywork set.

Ben

Adambomb
01-08-2011, 07:51 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ben Kolodner:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RollingCamel:
May ask why do you want to use aircraft fabric? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is much simpler and quicker to apply than building a full cfrp bodywork set.

Ben </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

+1, just look at UTA's cars, not only do you not have to build side panels, but the aircraft fabric fits more or less perfectly, compared to body panels that inevitably have edges and gaps. And I'm pretty sure the fabric weighs less than the paint that goes on it.

jjund
01-08-2011, 08:32 AM
Actually, one of the main reasons is that we are using a push-rod suspension and the shocks are interfering with the path of the bodywork. Rather than hack it up to fit the shocks, as well as the a-arms and steering, we want to use aircraft fabric for those sections and then have a carbon nosecone that covers the impact attenuator and goes up the center of the nose, similar to UTA.

Plus, there is the obvious weight-savings and simplicity benefits.

Will M
01-10-2011, 08:22 AM
I think I remember that UTA did a lot of wind tunnel and impact test (flying rocks) to prove that monokote was safe for their car. I could be completely wrong though.

J. Vinella
01-11-2011, 09:13 PM
UW has used the stuff since 2006. It is great. About as light as you can get while still covering the body.

About the only thing that I have seen penetrate is a cone tip. Easy to repair. Slap some clear fabric tape to the tear, touch up the outer paint and you are done.

If you get it tight enough it is fine for aero dynamics. We saw little to no deflection in the wind tunnel.

Best feature is it turns your car into a drum with each triangular section a different note.

Ben K
01-11-2011, 10:17 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
Best feature is it turns your car into a drum with each triangular section a different note. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Our car will have it's own soundtrack. Fantastic. That just sold the idea to me.

Ben

RollingCamel
01-12-2011, 01:46 AM
Nothing can beat the aluminum skin some car had at FSG 2010. Looked awesome in the sun.

Tim Thomas
02-28-2011, 02:29 PM
I can see that a few of you have used aircraft fabric/dacron for a number of applications, however after doing some research I haven't found any who explicitly states how they have attached it to their frame. I have seen it heatnbond taped to wood however I am not sure how effective it would work on a steel frame. Super glue was mentioned as well, but I still don't have a clear way to attach it. I ordered some fabric for testing, any thoughts?

jjund
02-28-2011, 02:38 PM
If you are using Poly-Fiber, the recommended adhesive is Poly-Tak. I haven't worked with it myself, but my team has and they tell me you just paint it on the frame and apply heat to it. There are other non-heat-activated adhesives, but this is the one that is recommended for Poly-Fiber

Tim Thomas
02-28-2011, 03:19 PM
How about for something like Dacron? I have heard of Poly-Tak with Poly-Fiber, but not with Dacron. I'm assuming that it is just a general heat activated epoxy that should work with Dacron as well, but I could easily be wrong. Maybe I'll order some and check it out

Barky
03-01-2011, 04:24 AM
Poly-Tak should work with Dacron as well.

Basically, you brush some on your top frame member, wrap your fabric around it, then around the frame to the other side, where you brush your Poly-Tak on the top frame member on that side and do the same thing. Then you just work your way down the frame, overlapping each section by an inch or two (and using the Poly-Tak where it overlaps). Then when the whole thing is wrapped, hit it with a heat gun. Not a bad idea to use Poly-Brush after either.

I'll post some pictures, hopefully they get approved in the reasonably near future...

Barky
03-01-2011, 04:29 AM
h t t p : / / www. fli ckr .com / photos /hope _ fsae/4565051336/

h t t p : / / w ww. fli ckr. com / photos/ hope _fsae/ 4565051826/

h t t p : / / www. flickr .com / phot os/ hope _fsae/ 4564421765 /

h t t p : / / www. flickr. com / photos /hop e_f sae/456442 2663 /

Tim Thomas
03-01-2011, 09:30 AM
Thanks for the help! I'll post pictures and procedure once I work with the products myself so that others don't have the same information issues that I had while doing research.

harrywindson
10-17-2011, 07:32 AM
I don't have knowledge about aircraft fabric but interested in getting it.I hope it's great to have it.Thanks for cooperation.