PDA

View Full Version : Ricardo Valve Timing

nathan s
11-19-2005, 09:14 AM
Do you guys know where Ricardo designates the start of a cycle? Is it TDC or BDC?

I am having problems getting the timing right. Any suggestions?

nathan s
11-19-2005, 09:14 AM
Do you guys know where Ricardo designates the start of a cycle? Is it TDC or BDC?

I am having problems getting the timing right. Any suggestions?

DaveC
11-19-2005, 09:22 AM
If I remember correctly, I timed the cams with zero degrees crank angle being TDC, and I believe I added 180 degrees to the intake and exhaust anchors (where lift starts) to get it to line up with how Wave measures valve lift. I imported the data from Excel, saved as a text file. You can refrence the tutorial valve lift profiles (in "tags") to see if what you have makes sense. Good luck, its a lot of work, but worthwhile when the model actually starts to come together.

Ricardo said they are going to model an fsae engine, so in the near future Wave might come with an f4i or an r6 all ready to go.

nathan s
11-19-2005, 03:50 PM
Thanks, Sounds like a good place to start.

Btw, what kind of engine did you model? I am looking for a valve profile for a gxsr, as my next project is to model the engine on one of our old cars. Do you know of any possible sources for that?

Also, is it feasable to measure the valve travel by measuring from the rockers?

DaveC
11-19-2005, 05:54 PM
We have f4i motors, which have no rockers, just bucket style tappets, which are not accessable with a dial indicator. So, I measured from the top of the cam lobe with a dial indicator and came out with some negative lift numbers. I added the largest negative lift number to all the lift numbers to eliminate the negatives, then shifted the lift numbers 360 degrees to compensate for reading from the top of the lobe. Theres better ways to do it, I'm sure, but thats what we had available to do the job at the time.

Charlie
11-19-2005, 08:22 PM
It's TDC.

Ricardo has been saying a F4i and R6 are 'coming soon' for years. It was supposed to be my F4i and a R6 modeled by some Wisconsin-Madison guys. It's been on the back-burner for a couple years.

Ricardo is a good company and tech support is better than you could hope for for students, but don't expect that FSAE models will be here anytime soon.