PDA

View Full Version : Attenuator testing discussion

97'scort
01-21-2011, 09:09 PM
Before you rip into me, I did search prior to posting http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

To start off, I'm stuck on an island with limited testing equipment. Our university (which lacks many traditional streams of engineering) only has a quasi-static bench capable of ~25kN. This will let us test a material sample, but not a full structure. Essentially, I can use the machine to confirm the performance characteristics of the selected material so that my calculations are supported by testing.

This still doesn't, however, let me have a fully tested model, nor does it let me test the intrusion plate.

I'm assuming I'm not the only one in this position (as I saw in some of the other threads) and I'm curious as to what solutions other teams have found. Yes, I understand that not everybody wants to give up their secrets, but I'm willing to share what I can to help you out as well. Money is super tight on our team...while we would have loved to send our unit to Kettering, $300 is out of our reach.

If you would prefer to talk via e-mail, I can be reached at kgilmar@uvic.ca.

97'scort
01-21-2011, 09:09 PM
Before you rip into me, I did search prior to posting http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

To start off, I'm stuck on an island with limited testing equipment. Our university (which lacks many traditional streams of engineering) only has a quasi-static bench capable of ~25kN. This will let us test a material sample, but not a full structure. Essentially, I can use the machine to confirm the performance characteristics of the selected material so that my calculations are supported by testing.

This still doesn't, however, let me have a fully tested model, nor does it let me test the intrusion plate.

I'm assuming I'm not the only one in this position (as I saw in some of the other threads) and I'm curious as to what solutions other teams have found. Yes, I understand that not everybody wants to give up their secrets, but I'm willing to share what I can to help you out as well. Money is super tight on our team...while we would have loved to send our unit to Kettering, $300 is out of our reach.

If you would prefer to talk via e-mail, I can be reached at kgilmar@uvic.ca.

Gruntguru
01-21-2011, 11:14 PM
Set up your attenuator on a solid concrete slab with a ruled background. Drop a 300kg mass from the appropriate height and record with a high speed video camera. Alternatively attach the attenuator to the mass.

If you don't have a high speed camera (I think you will need 500 fps minimum) get creative with a strobe and still camera (requires testing in the dark) or record displacement vs time (LVDT, laser, linear pot, etc) or record acceleration v's time (accelerometer)

moose
01-22-2011, 10:01 AM
Maybe I'm wrong, but I think they changed the rules on testing to only accept quasi-static tests this year. You'll want to double check that before doing a high-speed test.

97'scort
01-22-2011, 01:06 PM
You can still do full speed testing, but Grunguru's method is no longer acceptable. All tests must be done with university owned or commercially owned testing equipment. No random dropping of things anymore, thanks to the Thai team and their backhoe.