PDA

View Full Version : Different Shock Choices

Brian Auer
09-20-2004, 10:07 AM
The judges haven't been too impressed with our use of mountain bike shocks in the past. I'm looking into different kinds of shocks to use for this year's car...anyone have any recomendations? Know of any that have worked for you in the past?

Brian

Brian Auer
09-20-2004, 10:07 AM
The judges haven't been too impressed with our use of mountain bike shocks in the past. I'm looking into different kinds of shocks to use for this year's car...anyone have any recomendations? Know of any that have worked for you in the past?

Brian

Kevin Hayward
09-20-2004, 08:32 PM
Brian,

I don't think it is the use of mountain bike shocks that judges dislike. Rather it is the use of them without knowing what they do and the drawbacks associated with using them. If you switch to something else I don't think the judges will be impressed unless you can show them why.

I have even heard different opinions amongst judges. As in I have heard suggestions that we could get away wih smaller shocks than mb ones to save weight givent the small size of the cars. On the other hand I have heard suggestions that bigger shocks need to be used to promote more fluid flow.

The simple fact is that you can build a good suspension system around a mb shock if you know what it does.

You have to decide what you are looking for.

Do you want more precise damping? This will generally require a bigger unit with motion ratios allowing more fluid flow

Do you want less Hystersis? You'll need to look at the seals on the unit and minimise sticition. But then good seals aren't cheap

Do you want ultimate low weight? The units will be small and probably not adjustable.

Do you want a large scope for track tuning? Adjustability is a must - but then what adjustability do you need. Maybe you want independant bump and rebound bleed nozzles ... but that starts getting hard to get at a reasonable cost. Also brings the problem of a lot of options and not a lot of time.

Do you want good professional support? Brand names become respected because of good product support. Maybe the money is worth it due to the small amount of tuning available.

Do you have the facilities, time and knowledge to make your own? Lets face it truly custom dampers are very time consuming to design and make. Maybe its worth it, maybe its not.

This could go on and on. Mountain Bike dampers are a compromise but so is everything else. Some teams use them because they understand the compromise and are prepared to design around them and possibly modify them. Other teams use them because everybody else does.

One of those positions judges are prepared to support.

Furthermore I would be cautious of putting too much faith in recommendations from other teams (including mine). Dampers, like all parts, are chosen with certain goals in mind unless those goals match yours it is unlikely that any solution will solve your problems.

So my recommendation is before you look at other dampers test what you have. Find out where you are starting from in terms of the force velocity curves and hysteresis. Find out whether you have been using appropriate motion ratios or not. At least from that position you will be able to decide on which direction you wish to head.

Kev