PDA

View Full Version : dry sump literature

Micko..
03-24-2004, 04:47 PM
I am doing the dry sump design for a 03' R6 engine; all is going well except for the fact that I need to do a literature review for the uni and all the info I have got so far is from looking at what other people have done and coming up with my own ideas. If anyone could let me know of somewhere with info on dry sumps or any related topics that would be great.
cheers

Mark100
03-24-2004, 06:04 PM
There really isn't anything noteworthy out there on dry sump DESIGN. You can pick up some hot rod books and they might have a chapter on dry sump stuff, but that's about it, and they never really get into the design of it.

I found that the best sources were SAE papers, especially papers around the WW2 time frame. The had quite a few papers on dry sumps and testing, pertaining to aircraft engines. Check your university library for the SAE papers. The old ones are usually bound in a book. Some of the WW2 SAE papers might be harder to get if you are outside of the US (at least for finding them already on hand). Some of Carroll Smith's stuff also lays out the basics quite well.

Micko..
03-27-2004, 04:59 AM
Thanks mark i'v had a look for some SAE papers but they are hard to come by (the older ones) in Australia. and yeah i have only ever found simple stuff, which dosn't help much.

mx6_shifty
03-27-2004, 09:49 AM
Hey Mike,

Nice to see that you've seen the light and decided to do a motorsport thesis. Good for you son!

Matt

P.S. You could try any of Carrol Smith's books for any dry sump stuff even though i don't know if they contain any info.